Filler query...

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I use humbrol model filler which I like as it sands down nice and paints over well. Is there any way this filler can be thinned abd applied with a brush for those hard to reach bits?

First Name
colin
Hi Paul I've never tried it but someone told me about thinning humbrol filler with their brand of liquid poly cement.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks col. I will give it a go and see how I get on.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Paul

Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty is an excellent water based filler that is good for small gaps. It can be wiped clean when wet, and applied with a brush.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi paul , it can be thinned with cellulose thinners , Ive got an old 10ml Tamiya paint jar with exactly that in. When my tube of humbrol was gettng near the end and getting a bit stiff to squeeze out I cut open the tube and scooped it into the empty tamiya jar. I then added cellulose thinners until it was nice and runny ,it will thicken over time but just add a few more drops of thinners if this happens. Its great to use when you only need a thin smear , dries quickly and sands down nicely, hope this helps , cheers tony

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Humbrol filler, Squadron Green Putty, Mr Surfacer, Mr Dissolved Putty, cellulose thinners, acetone, and liquid glue can all be mixed with each other to get the consistency you wish
I have a jar of Mr Surfacer to which I've added Green Putty when I've squeezed a bit to much out

No matter how carefully you replace the top, I find that tube filler gradually dries out and becomes too stiff to work or apply. I squezzed & cut open the tube & contents into a small jar and thinned it with cellulose thinners and the dregs of some liquid glue

Instead of cleaning a brush or using a disposable one I scrounged a more or less empty nail polish jar and use the brush in that. I cut the bristles a bit shorter so they don't flop around too much. Then refit into the bottle; this acts as a keeper so the brush doesn't dry out & harden
Don't worry if a bit of nail varnish gets into the filler, it'll all mix in

Search YouTube for 'plastic modelling filler' and you'll see the sorts of mixtures that can be used

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is there any way this filler can be thinned abd applied with a brush for those hard to reach bits?
Revell Plasto putty can be thinned with liquid cement, MEK, etc. (Or at least: with the stuff I use to glue plastic parts with, one of the main constituents of which is MEK.)

Since the local model store closed, though, I’ve been using this instead:

… which is a car body putty intended for use on metal and polyester, from Dutch brand Alabastine; similar types must be available in other countries. This can likewise be thinned with the stuff I glue plastic parts with, and therefore probably also with liquid cement. In terms of how it feels and what it’s like to work with, there’s little difference with Revell putty, but it comes in a much bigger tube.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the help guys. I havn't got any thinners at the mo so I went with col's suggestion and pleased to say it worked.