Finding 3D Models................

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been scouring the internet to find 3D models suitable for FDM printing - which can be trickier than I first thought!
Sites I use are Thingiverse, Cults, Printables, CG trader, Yeggi, Pinsharp ( feel free to add ay others! ). Some, like Thingiverse all all FREE models, most of the others are 'retail' sites - you use PayPal, or other means to purchase the file, which you then can download. Prices can vary from a few Euros to 50+, depending on the size & complexity of the model, or how much the designer thinks his work is worth!
I haven't had any trouble in downloading ( yet ), and using PayPal gives me a layer of protection.
Major problem is what a model is called - and if your search term is a common one, then good luck!
18pdrTowedbyDragonMediumTractor1923.jpg
I've been looking for this - the Dragon Medium Tractor from the late 20's early 30's 'Dragon' throws up pages and pages of fantasy models, and the other two terms are so general to be useless! Coupled together doesn't help as most sites don't recognise Boolean searches.
IF you find a model, then the next problem is, is it suitable for FDM printing. A lot of designers do give information that can be helpful, but other give no help at all, not even giving a scale! Meaning a purchase is the only way to make certain ) :confused:
I have has some success in finding models by designer -if you can find a similar model, there is a chance that it may have been used for a variant or earlier/later models. I actually foumd this
BirchGun.jpg
The Birch Gun from 1925 - The designer had done a model of the Vickers Medium, and by searching for his products I was able to find this rare beast.
Whether it will print is another matter!
The Dragoon Tractor remains elusive - I have found smaller variants that were made under licence, bt Belgium & the Nethelands, but not the granddaddy
Dave