Finding who's doing what .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all , apart from trawling through the latest posts is there a way to see what your friends are doing. I miss quite a few builds .
John .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If you add/follow members on here then their posts and work will come up in your news feed on the 'what's new' tab

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Al .
I do that, but I suddenly find I have missed a build. Perhaps a daily check might be the best option.
John

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Or you could 'watch' a build and get it to email/notify you when a post is made?

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Al I used to do that, but it's the new posts that I tend to miss.
Going to have to be more diligent in my approach to the forum !
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I know how you feel. There is so much going on on the forum that I like to look at. Because the forum is so active threads tend to be pushed quickly off the first page and I miss them. Sometimes people post an update and get very few comments which is understandably upsetting. I really do not feel that it is a lack of interest or appreciation it is simply that things are easily missed.
Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John
I always go to “recent” posts or “New” post try recent post first then work your way down to New Post I’ve been having some luck finding everything like that

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John, same here. I think the good Mr. Jones has nailed it. A search by builders name would do the trick.
Cheers, Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What I would like is an option where you type in a members name and his/her builds/blogs all pop up in the find threads section.
The problem is that the forum can’t know what’s a build thread and what isn’t, unless the poster adds some or another identifier for that.

This is (part of) what tags are intended to solve: if everyone were to add the tag “build” (for example) to the first post a build thread, finding them would be trivial. Though I must say the forum’s advanced search function does leave something to be desired, in that you can’t do searches on multiple different things very well: you can search for a certain member’s name, for example, and you can search for certain tags, but you can’t search for all posts with a certain tag by a certain member.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all, and thank you for taking the time to post.
I agree with the replies, Steve has got something there. Feel wrong when someone kindly follows me and I find they have a build either finished of about to be. Jim was this in case, i've nearly missed some of his builds, along with Si 's.
Lee I do that now, but as Jim has said posts get pushed down, and you can end up trawling up to 3 pages to find someone. To do as Steve has said would be great, type in a name and see their latest build and all the previous ones .
Perhaps one of the mods could look into this, I have no idea how complex it would be. Jakko seems the likely person to explain how complex this would be .
John .

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That would certainly simplify things if that were possible Scottie.
Rick H.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
honestly dont see a problem

theres so many ways of seeing whats new or what someone is doing

personally i always hit the 'mark all forums read' just before i leave the forum.....then when i return i hit 'new posts' to see everything thats new......even if theres 2 or 3 pages it dosnt take long to go through it

if you 'watch' someone its possible to see every new posts they make by clicking on 'latest activity' on their profile

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul .
Thanks for joining in,I've just looked at "Mark Forums Read " it says mark all ! So how can I do one as I go .?
John .,

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
At the top right of the message list in each forum is a “Mark read” button that will mark only that forum as read.

Paul’s way, though, is simpler: once you’re done reading for now, you hit the “Mark forums read” link at the top of the front page and next time, only forums with messages posted since you were last here show up as having new messages.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Jakko :thumb2:
John .