Finished 1/72 Fockewulf Fw190A 6/8 fighter

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is an Academy 1/72 Fw190.

Nice little kit, went together really well.

It did come with a drop tank and a really clumbersome looking 'carry frame'. It looked awful so I left it off as I hope some would have flown without one!!

Brush painted using Vallejo Model Colour acrylics and Humbrol Enamel for the 'Bits'

Compared with the Bf109 I did recently, the canopy frame was relatively easy to freehand paint 'cos it's mostly glass!

Just a bit of weathering using aluminium enamel for the chipping, thinned Model Colour for a bit of dirt and a pencil for the stains.

Cheers all,

Ron

View attachment 32867

View attachment 32868

View attachment 32869

View attachment 32870

View attachment 32871

View attachment 32872

View attachment 32873

View attachment 32874

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 004.jpg

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 001.jpg

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 005.jpg

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 008.jpg

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 003.jpg

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 006.jpg

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 002.jpg

Fockewulf Fw190A 8 007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice Ron and 1/72 too.

He's just flown his first "defence of the Reich" sortie for the day and is preparing for the next one. Drop tanks were only carried on the first sortie of the day. A unit like JG54 could have the whole wing refuelled,re-armed and airborne in twenty five minutes but without a drop tank.

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, another of your stunning hand painted jobs, superb build. Cheers Derek

p.s. 5 Star

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Ron. do i recognise that kit? lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Eyup matey, lovely mottle , looks the business! Top marks for the yellow cowling too, ive just done a yellow leading edge and i had a mare! it took about 3 coats ,i even undercoated it white first but it still brushed on a greeny yellow colour, must be something about the formulation of all yellow paints. How did you get yours so opaque and smooth looking? cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Ron do'nt know how you make those details look so great on 1/72 scale nicely done Sir!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks to all of you for the enthusiastic posts, I'm chuffed you like my offering.

Steve, thanks for the little bit of history and info. on this aircraft...I'm glad my theory on the drop tank was correct!

Allyne, well spotted. It is the very same kit. I'm well pleased I did a good enough job on it for the award of the Big 5. Thank you.

Tony. Yellow, and likewise red have always been a pain to paint and you are right, they did tend to streak on application.

I have however found a way which really helps:

After priming, very gently provide a 'key' for the paint. I use wire wool. Not the plumbing stuff, it's too rough but some fine grade instead. Very, very gently go over the piece you want to paint. Try and keep the wool going in the one direction, don't criss cross or you will see the marks through the paint. It's a bit fiddly but it works for me.....

Trey, it's easy.....Bottle top glasses + powerful magnifier + a strong bulb in the desk lamp + some duck tape to fasten my hand down to stop it shaking!!!! Success every time.lol

Cheers all,

Ron

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice one Ron,

Excellent result, even better when considering the small scale.

Now I really need to find somewhere like you to photograph my planes, it looks great sitting there.

Regards

Colin M.....

M

m1ks

Beautiful job on that butcher bird. I'd love to be able to brush that well. That reminds me, I have one of allynes luftwaffe to build yet. Likewise I love your photography studio set, it really adds character to the model.

D

DAKfreak

A wonderful model!! Do you have any info on this plane? Did it fly during operation Bodenplatte?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
A wonderful model!! Do you have any info on this plane? Did it fly during operation Bodenplatte?
First thank you for the comments on the model, very kind of you.

Unfortunately my knowledge of this aircraft is virtually nil, I just built it out of the box and any gen. on it was thrown out with the instructions.....However, if you P.M. Steve (stona) who has a supreme knowledge of things Luftwaffe, he will hopefully be able to give you more information.

I hope this will be of some help in your quest.

Thanks again,

Ron

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Nice Ron I'm never built a plane but if I did and it looked like this I would be very happy indeed

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the compliment John, I'm only just into double figures for the one's I've built.....Have a go. They are good fun, even in 1/72 scale!

Also, it was nice to see this little bird pop onto the pages again.

Cheers,

Ron

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
What's in your new picture bud

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
What's in your new picture bud
John, it was my entry for the FW190 G.B.

If you want, you can see it in the G.B. completed section called 'If you go down to the woods today.'

It was an awful kit and I had some light hearted stick when building it, so to try and hide it I came up with this solution.....

Also, if you do wander over to the section, take a bit of time and have a look at other 'entrants'. For such a simple title 'An Fw190', the builds and interpretations of the theme were brilliant...There is even one coming out of the sea!!!

Thanks for asking.

Ron

First Name
Mike
Lovely work Ron, excellent brushwork and as m1ks mentioned, good photos too

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Did it fly during operation Bodenplatte?
Very hard to say. III.JG/54 and IV.JG/54 were involved. They lost between them 12 Fw190D-9s and 4 Fw190A-8s. They actually got off relatively lightly,some Jagdgeschwader virtually ceased to exist. It is often forgotten that by this time many of the Luftwaffe's pilots were barely competent to fly their aircraft let alone fight them. Skill and experience cannot be replaced with guts and determination. The Luftwaffe demonstrated this very well in January 1945.

Steve