Finished Cessna 150 with base

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
About 17 years ago my wife gave me a gift of a 1 hr flight in a Cessna at Halfpenny Green airport it was a very memorable experience as I can only compare it to being put in a reliant robin with wings and told to fly it . Obviously the instructor came with me and it was a very tight squeeze practically sitting on top of each other. We flew around at 2000 ft and he even gave me the controls banking and turning etc no stunt stuff lol.I don't scare easy but I have to say at times I found it unnerving as this Cessna rattled a lot as we flew around. The instructor even let me do the approach for the landing and I wish I had a video of this as I am sure my approach would have made a great clip for a ww11 film as my effort was not the best as the plane was rocking and swaying from left to right on the approach I was very happy when he muttered the words I have control so as a memento to this here is my next build . Thanks for reading and looking and any comments cheers everyone

View attachment 67313

View attachment 67314

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice topic, and wonderful story about your trial flight. No worry though John, all Cessna 150s/152s rattle mate.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I had an hour in a glider last year ........ Now that was a "buzz". Take off from a winch is a real ride. Near vertical and 0-Jeeeezus ........ As quickly as you can say it.

Peter

C

CDW

Tidy little kit this, looks like it builds well.

Are you going to decal it with the ID of the aircraft you took up ??

Brings back a bad teenage memory for me up in one of these, the piloty guy says something like "you have the stick" and that was it ... front end down ... arse end up and doing twiddly round spinny things .... all at the same time .... he managed to get it level after a few choice words and some beads of perspiration.

Never been in fixed wing since, i must be wired wrong because i managed to get 18 hours flight time in a rotary (RB2) over an 18 month period (early 80's) untill the cost got too much, increased by over £60 per lesson in a period of 18 months so i gave up and blatted bikes & cars round a track instead:smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Colin you are brave as I found an hour in one of these things enough of a test for my nerves lol. As for biking back when I was 17 and did have a bike looking back I was abit of a maniac and fearless I used to take on all comers racing around the streets and remained unbeaten.i regard myself very lucky to be here today as I did lose two very good friends in my motorcycle years and often think of them . I sometimes think of getting a nice bike especially with the weather of late but as I have got older I think a little bit of my bravado as left me . I tend to worry about other road users who are very ignorant of bikers I'm glad I had one once because I always consider bikers when out on the roads unlike many. I did see a very nice quad the other day though but I'm afraid other people's ignorance stops me from getting one. As for the Cessna I can't Remember the markings but a few bullet holes or missing panels wouldn't be out of place if my memory serves me right . Thanks everyone for your replies and to all bikers stay safe and keep them peeled cheers John

T

tecdes

Yes nice reading about your experience John

Had a simlar one few years back now. Ran an architectural business in Jersey & a client asked if I would give advice to his son. His son lived near Alton Towers.

So Des, our client, said he would take me over to Southampton in his aircraft (sorry forgotten the type) a two seater. All free of charge but he would stand me a big lunch & also on another date an outing & lunch in St Malo (still waiting for that).

So I went. Best flight I have ever made. Sat there with the earphones listening to all that was going on. Des was a Spitfire pilot during the war so knew what he was doing. This nice quiet silky voice of his asking for direction from "ground control" etc. Just him me the aircraft & these great cumulus clouds. He actually went around these great fluffy monsters as he said it would be most uncomfortable. What a flight.

Got there did my bit. Flight home what a day. Then at Jersey airport we pushed the aircraft into the hanger. Best flight ever.

And Des well I saw him in town a few weeks ago. Got to be in his 90s as sprightly as ever.

Best of luck with your Cessna John.

Laurie

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Cheers Laurie sounds like a cracking day you had and what an honour to be taken out by a spitfire pilot nice to hear he is in good health tip your hat to him for me next time you see him as I have nothing but the greatest respect for these very brave men .

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That was fast John .............. and a good result. I really quite like that.

Peter

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey that's really nice John, and love the little base with its wind sock.

Tony.

C

CDW

The one I nearly met my end in was blue but this will do nicely.

Smart little dio too, not too busy, simply laid out but nice and effective.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
A nice little plane i took my first ever flight i one of these. so it takes me back a little.

Cheers Peter

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great stuff John, well done mate. Love the setting too, and the 'Halfpenny Green Airport' and 'Flight School' signage.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You may say it's not one of your best John, but I can't see anything wrong with it! Nice 'plane, simple but effective base - ***** from me.

Gern

P

Polux

Very nice little scene. Love the signal "flight school", it's a perfect touch!

Cheers. Polux

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Thank you everyone for all your kind feedback and comments I really appreciate it .:thanx: John