Finished - HMS Roberts WW2 Monitor - 1:350 Trumpeter

C

Caledonia

I am going to call this finished, my first attempt at a 1:350 scale Ship and seascape. I didn't want to make the sea too rough rather choppy, as the Vessel was designed for coastal bombardment, which it was very good at.

A lot of people think this type of Vessel is ugly, I disagree, its different, but full of character.

This is a lovely kit, and I would highly recommend it as a first 1:350 model, having said that it does not lack detail.

Hope you enjoy looking. The build can be found here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/hms-roberts-wwii-monitor-1-350-trumpeter.27265/

Cheers Derek

View attachment 87081

View attachment 87082

View attachment 87083

View attachment 87084

View attachment 87085

View attachment 87086

View attachment 87087

View attachment 87088

View attachment 87089

View attachment 87090

F01.jpg

F02.JPG

F03.JPG

F04.JPG

F05.JPG

F06.JPG

F07.JPG

F09.JPG

F10.JPG

F11.JPG

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Great work Derek and very nicely framed showing the detail photos.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a little gem! Love it.

Great sea as well!

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a little cracker Derek!

The sea surface has turned out really nicely. Why did you have to use Superglue to seal the Bran Flakes? Wouldn't ordinary PVA work for that?

Gern

C

Caledonia

Thanks Gents for your comments. Dave, the idea of the super glue is to lock the oats together so that once the waves have been shaped, they will stay in position for subsequent coatings. The two coats of heavy gel does the sealing and filling between the oats. Cheers Derek

T

treyzx10r

That came out awesome Derek, I keep going back and looking at it . Truly a very nicely done study in the subject.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wonderful model Derek, nice work mate. I have to admit I was sceptical at first regarding the oats, but the sea scape has come out beautifully.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Thanks Gents for your comments. Dave, the idea of the super glue is to lock the oats together so that once the waves have been shaped, they will stay in position for subsequent coatings. The two coats of heavy gel does the sealing and filling between the oats. Cheers Derek
I see the need to fix them in place, but why Superglue? Wouldn't any other kind of glue work?

Gern

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your kind words Gents and for the stars.

Gern, as mentioned in the build I was copying Chris Flodberg's method of seascape for rough seas. He used a thin Super Glue and drenched the oats, which I also used, and it makes the oats hard - wood like. There may be other glues you can use, but personally I wouldn't use PVA because of its viscosity and subsequent mess, also the water content might react with the oats. But each to his own, as with any hobby every one has their own methods. It I were doing another rough or choppy sea I would use the same method. Cheers Derek

p.s. I wouldn't use the above method for calm waters, Chris Flodberg has two different methods for that. Derek

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Right! With you now Derek. Thanks.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been following the build, but missed the completion until now...Sorry Derek.

Superb result for sure. I do like the addition of the figures and the sea is excellent.

Top job all round.

Ron

C

Caledonia

\ said:
I've been following the build, but missed the completion until now...Sorry Derek.Superb result for sure. I do like the addition of the figures and the sea is excellent.

Top job all round.

Ron
Many thanks Ron, that's a real compliment coming from an expert. Cheers Derek

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Derek, lovely looks sea too. I also like the fact that you have added figures-they help to draw the eye to the vessel and add a new dimension.

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

Wow bran flakes! I missed the end of your build thread Derek & thought I'd stumbled across some diet tips! :P

What an interesting way to make a seascape!

That's a fantastic build & with the very realistic base, it's like museum quality. First class!

C

Caledonia

Thanks Lads for your comments and stars. For my forthcoming King George V, if I can find storage space, I would like to attempt the KGV steaming at full speed through an Atlantic gale. Derek