Finished: ICM 1/48 Spit XVI "Rongotea"

M

munkster

This one was a labour of love I can tell you. Nothing really seemed to fit together without a fight and lots of filling in the big interfaces. Also despite doing a nice job (I thought anyway) on the engine in the end realised that I would have to remove bits off it and enclose it permanently or else the panels wouldn't fit on. Turns out this is a known issue with the kit, ho hum.

Still, I'm pleased with the results despite a couple of dodgy bits of painting (don't look too closely at that stripe on the spinner!) and learned a lot (again!) on this one. Used some excellent aftermarket decals too because the in box ones were poor to say the least...

Light was fading when I took the pics so may take some better ones but in the meantime hope you like it! Has anyone else on here built any Spitfires? They seem quite popular... :laughing:

View attachment 30295 View attachment 30296 View attachment 30297 View attachment 30298

View attachment 35489

View attachment 35490

View attachment 35491

View attachment 35492

034.jpg

035.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

M

munkster

Yeah, Lakeland Klear-a-like on top of Tamiya clear red on top of flat red on top of gloss white on top of Halfords grey primer ;)

Incredible it still looks like a spinner with all those layers on it! Cheers!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well that looks like a Spitfire to me! Nice one Rob.

Oh! Yes there are a few spitfires been built on here....

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi rob , looks great to me too! Nice to see one of the later spits again , You wouldnt guess from looking that you had a battle with it , and the spinner looks ok , i know that trying to paint or mask a stripe on a spinner is a pig of a job ! cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That looks pretty good to me despite your comments!

I don't know if it helps but I've had an idea about masking spinners etc.

Measure the diameter of the spinner at the point where you want to put your masking tape (you could use a pair of dividers to do this).

Draw a circle of the same diameter on your masking tape.

Draw another circle which is a couple of millimetres larger (or smaller depending on which side of the spinner you want to put your tape) using the same centre.

Using suitable cutters, cut out the thin strip contained between the two circles. Don't leave the finished strip in a circle (like a washer). Cut through it so that it becomes like a split washer.

Use this strip to mask the spinner. You should find that the strip will sit flat on the surface at the edge you measured, and therefore provide a better mask.

It may not be perfectly flat for the whole width of the strip as that depends on how steep/curved the taper is on the spinner, but it will be better than trying to use a straight piece of tape.

Gern

Last edited by a moderator:
M

munkster

Cheers for comments chaps.

Re: the mask Gern I actually had a white decal in my aftermarket kit for the spinner but opted to paint instead. What I did was put the masking tape on some cellophane over the decal and traced the decal onto the masking tape then cut out the mask. So in *theory* it should have been a perfect mask but probably a combination of a blunt-ish pencil and impatience to get this troublesome build over meant I didn't stress too much about it being perfect and just got on with it.

Looks fine from a reasonable distance and the effect looks nice anyway so not too disappointed :smiling:

ps - there *must* be some sort of mathematical calc one can do to convert spinner diameter/slope into arc length/radius for masking. This is going to be my next project I think, I can feel a spreadsheet coming on. That said, I bet there's already something on the internet but that'd spoil my fun :computer:

pps - happy birthday to ME!! :-D

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice job,it looks good to me. I know these its can be a bit of a wrestling match but you've definitely won by a submission!

Re spinner masks I think you'd be in for a mathematical challenge of epic proportions,it's quite a sum for a perfect cone which a spinner is not. I mask each edge with a very thin piece of masking tape (about 1-2mm) which I can make conform to give me an edge and then build up roughly behind it. It's not always perfect but is easier than cutting curves etc.

I've seen a technique where the modeller fitted a rubber grommet/washer over the spinner as a mask. It worked for him but I've never tried it myself.

Cheers

Steve

M

munkster

Re spinner masks I think you'd be in for a mathematical challenge of epic proportions
That sounds like a challenge :exercise3:

Will report back in a day or so (or maybe less!) with any developments!! :smiling:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
That sounds like a challenge :exercise3:Will report back in a day or so (or maybe less!) with any developments!! :smiling:
Good luck! :respect4:

Steve

M

munkster

Wouldn't want to put those two smileys together - this is a family forum!!! :lol

M

munkster

Re spinner masks I think you'd be in for a mathematical challenge of epic proportions
Spreadsheet complete but not at home at the moment to test whether the results are gibberish - seems to give sensible answers and the maths wasn't that bad to be honest. A mere matter of simultaneous equations in two unknowns it seems. Simples! :smiling:

T

treyzx10r

Rob looks great luv the clip wing version! I use the fingers on latex gloves to mask spinners just cut a small hole in one and pull it on til its in the right spot. It takes some practice but the results are worth it

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I know you had some fun building it, but it still came out a top result. I often find the difficult ones more rewarding ! Nice job.

Colin M..........

E

Edgar Brooks

When I had to do a 1/24 P-51 spinner for "Jersey Jerk," which has a series of red and blue circles, after spraying the red, I coated the whole thing in Micromask, which always seems thinner, and easier to work, than Maskol. I then found sheet balsa wood, to the required thickness, laid a brand-new 25A blade flat on it, pushed the spinner up to it, and rotated it against the point. Another thickness of wood, another rotation, and so on; I then peeled off alternate strips, and sprayed the whole lot blue. When I peeled off the other strips, it had worked like a charm.

Edgar