Finished - Lockheed Martin SR-71A Blackbird - 1/72 Hasegawa

C

Caledonia

Hi all, Some photos of my latest effort, details of the kit and some history can be found in the link below.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/planes-helicopters/13053-lockheed-martin-sr-71a-blackbird-1-72-hasegawa.html

A very well fitting kit with only 43 parts. I have chosen the decals for Aircraft 17967 which was based at Kadena AFB. This particular aircraft is in the Barksdale AFB Museum, Louisiana. I have tried to replicate the tired look of the paintwork as although the Blackbirds were initially matt black, they very quickly became grey and patchy due to the 400 Deg C skin temperature and the long missions they flew at +Mach 3.2.

I have used the Duxford Blackbird photos for reference, see link below.

Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird Photo Walk Around

Hope you enjoy viewing. So that you can appreciate the size of this 1/72 model, the last photo shows a Hurricane and Tornado of the same scale beside the Blackbird. Cheers Derek

View attachment 31244View attachment 31245View attachment 31246View attachment 31247View attachment 31248View attachment 31249View attachment 31250View attachment 31251

View attachment 36316

View attachment 36317

View attachment 36318

View attachment 36319

View attachment 36320

View attachment 36321

View attachment 36322

View attachment 36323

B14.jpg

B15.jpg

B16.jpg

B17.jpg

B18.jpg

B19.jpg

B20.jpg

B21.jpg

M

munkster

Love the paintjob; as I think you imply it could easily have come out very featureless and flat but despite the single colour it looks very "articulated" (if that's the word!) and realistic. Niiiiice, I like!! Always like to see a size comparison too, it's a big bird innit!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi derek, superb job , the paintwork is perfect. Its always difficult to get a realistic finish on a black aircraft even when its faded bt youve cracked it, brilliant fading and modulation. 5 from me , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's beautifully done Derek! It illustrates something that's been going on over the last couple of days on another thread about colour. If you'd painted that black like the instructions say, you'd have ended up with a toy model of an SR 71. Your paint scheme has created a realistic, miniature SR 71! I like it.

Gern

PS Your timing could have been better though. I sold one of those just a few weeks ago - and now you've stirred up my desire to build one! :lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very nice Derek. All the good stuff has already been said so I will settle with just saying that that is a great finish you have got on her. I wonder how many people thought you had forgotten to paint the main gears tyres....

Nice one.

If you think that is big you should see it in 1/48 ! :surprised: Or the B 1b. or Bone as it is often called, thats huge!!

Five star just for the paint job!

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That paint is amazing. a hint of red ?

Colin M.........

C

Caledonia

Hi Gents thanks for your very kind comments.

Gern, as I said in the thread you refer to, I have given up being paranoid about the right colour, now I pick a picture from the internet I like and try to replicate it by mixing colours IF necessary.

Ian M, as I mentioned in the build I'm glad I didn't pick the 1/48, it must be massive as you say, wheels well spotted by the way, wonder what they are made of to cope with those high landing speeds.

colin M, no red, I used Gunze H333 diluted 50% with their thinner, I layed down full colour lateral stripes across the fuselage and filled in with the same mix, then using an 80/20 thinner/paint mix misted in the lighter areas to achieve the finished effect, hope this helps anyone making this model.

Thanks again chaps, comments from you experts are much appreciated Cheers Derek

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a beautiful model Derek. The size of it in 1/72 is incredible - that's one big aircraft with 2 massive engines.

Great work mate

Paul