Finished Me262..and a story

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
For me every model project starts with a story. Researching the story, even the weather, is nearly as much fun as building the model to illustrate that story.

I still had to build a model. This one is from the 1/32 Trumpeter kit. It’s a very nice kit and the fit is superb, some parts literally snap together. I did leave out some interior parts as, being posed in flight, I wanted to save a bit of weight. I can hardly have access panels open anyway! It's out of the box though I did take down some of the slightly overdone detail on the surface. It’s painted with all sorts though the camouflage colours are White Ensign Colourcoats. Decals are from an Eagle Cals sheet, the kit sheet and the spares box.

The Story:

V.E. Day,8th May 1942,14.40 Hrs. Lt Heinrich Haffner of I./KG51 lands “Yellow 5” an Me262A-1a,Werknummer 501232,at Munchen-Riem airfield. He is accompanied by Hptm.Rudolph Abrahamczik in another Me262,”Black L” of KG 51.

It is a bright dry day, the snow of the previous week is long gone and the airfield is dry. Haffner has only to avoid the numerous craters as he lands. He is a little grim faced as he has flown the 300Km from Zatec, near Prague, to Munchen-Riem, over the Bohmerwald mountains with his undercarriage down. It had failed to retract.

The aircraft is painted in a standard RLM 81/82 over RLM 76 camouflage scheme. Most of the stencilling is present. It was delivered to III./KG(J) 6, “Gefechtsverband Hogeback”, in late April 1945. It is virtually brand new with only a handful of hours on the clock. It carries the red and black checked tail band of that unit. The tail band is incomplete on the starboard side.

Here's a sort of "fly around".

This was not the end for this particular Me262!

It was taken over by the famous “Watson’s Whizzers”. It was named by the 54th ADS (?) as “Beverly Ann” on the port side and “Feudin’54th” on the starboard side.

On the 15th of May it was flown by Karl Bauer, Messerschmitt’s chief test pilot, already working for the Americans, to Lechfeld. Lt Robert Strobell test flew it here and renamed it “111” and “Screamin’ Meanie”.

On 10th June it was flown to Melun, France and on the 27th June was one of three aircraft flown in a demonstration arranged by Col.Watson (of Whizzers fame) for General Carl Spaatz.

Shortly afterwards it was flown to Cherbourg, loaded onto HMS Reaper and shipped as “aircraft 20” to the USA.

On arrival in the USA it became Bureau of Aeronautics “BuAer 121442”. It was tested by the Navy between December 1945 and April 1946. Its last known flight ended in an emergency landing (engine flame out) on 29th January 1946.

It was now transferred to Naval Ammunition Storage Depot (NASD) Philadelphia and then to the USAF at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (AFB). It was removed from the US Navy inventory on 31st January 1947.

Now things get a little hazy! It seems to have been dumped in a land fill at Patuxent Naval Air Station (NAS) from where it was recovered and restored in 1957. It was again restored in 1976 and then 1979 at the USAF museum.

It can be seen on display at the USAF museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio today. It has come a long way since it left the Regensburg-Obertraubling facility in April 1945.

It is currently painted in an incorrect paint scheme.

Colour is a tricky thing. Here's an original reference photograph.

Note how low the contrast is between the colours. If we render the model in B+W we get something similar.

At least it survives and if you are ever in Ohio you can pop in and see it!

Thanks for looking and reading.

Any comments or questions just fire away!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

That's marvellous Steve! A really good build, up to your usual high standard, though I'm amazed how you manage to turn them out so quickly!

The back story really brings the model to life, I love it!

All the best

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice work there Steve, nice to have some history too. Big five mate.

Have fun, John

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great story and as usual a great build. You must have had fun with the checkered band. well done.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cool! Yet another piece of evidence to support my theory that the bar has been raised in the aircraft department.

An excellent build and that paint job is perfect.

Great work Steve. 5 stars from me.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The photo connundrum comes to life!!

Brilliant stuff Steve. You have made a cracking job of interpreting the picture. The story finishes the build off nicely.

Very well done, 'Big 5' for sure.

Cheers,

Ron

S

sprayman

Now thats a cracking number.....excellent Steve...and the story is a great addition...:terrific:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Steve, another exceptionally finished aircraft. Thanks for sharing the history too, all really interesting stuff.

All the best

Paul

T

T. van Vuuren

Oh yes sir, give that man a Bells!

Beautifull work with an exelent story line, well done.

Theuns

M

m1ks

Very nice job, (you missed the groundcrewman with his brush and pot of red paint out, :smiling3: )

Intersting little back story too.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the story Steve, it really gives life to this model.

A 5 star build.

Tony.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Brilliant Steve - excellent built and interesting back story.

T

treyzx10r

Another great looking build and the bonus of some background info! Awesome Steve as usual your work is top notch. I really like the 'soft 'edge you got on the cammo scheme its simply amazing! cheers Trey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for all your nice comments chaps.

Patrick the Trumpeter offering is an excellent kit,light years ahead of the old Hasegawa offering. It makes for an easy build. As this one was always going to be "in flight" I left out a lot of interior and engine stuff which helped to speed things along.

Vaughan I did have fun with that tail band. In the end,though it doesn't quite match the position of the original,I just had to stop fiddling as I was making it worse!

M1ks that poor fellow with the brush and pot of red paint was left standing at Zatec as Haffner zoomed off to make sure he at least got to surrender to the Americans rather than the Russians :smiling3:

Trey I sprayed the camo freehand with my trusty Iwata Eclipse. I find the soft edge,whilst being technically a bit overscale,looks fine on a large scale model.

I'm contemplating something with roundels on next :smile8: It was a present and questions are already being asked :smiling5:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Stunning build steve and for what its worth i reckon your interpretation of the band on the photo is spot on. 5 stars from me ,cheers tony ,

V

Vajled

how did I miss this... because i have stick my nose into under construction board...

Great 262 all arround and 5*

Roman

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
What a fantastic finish. Love the story that goes with it too.