Finished Tamiya 1/32 P-51 Mustang

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A beautiful looking Mustang and the detailing is great.

I can see why anyone would stare at it.

Tony.

B

beav1013

\ said:
Its a beaut' :score:Any chance you can show us all the underside of the Mustang and how the undercarriage closes up ?:emo6:

Cheers. Ian.
sure thing. i realized after i put the pics up that i didnt take any of the under side... i'll try and get some up soon.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This is indeed a brilliant build. Very well done. So, if I understand correctly, the under carriage actually works ?

Colin M..........

B

beav1013

thanks everyone.

Colin, the undercarriage works in that you have the option of posing the model either wheels up or down, and can switch it at will. there are 2 panels right about the wheel struts that come off. there are screws that hold the struts in place for wheels down. and there's a removable piece for the wheel well covers that slides in and out. if you pose it wheels up, this comes out and another piece showing closed wheel wells is put into place which is held in place by magnets. i had trouble with this piece fitting into the designated opening, so there's a bit of a step when i have wheels up.

i'll show it in the pics when i get them up.

B

beav1013

Some underside pics

Hey guys. I got some shots of the underside of the model tonight. the lighting wasn't the best, but you'll get the idea.

I tried to show the pieces that are interchangeable. i didn't do any heavy weathering on the bottom. we'll see if leave it that way. i've seen some new reference pics online of some oil stains and grime that i might try and replicate.

View attachment 43691

View attachment 43692

View attachment 43693

View attachment 43694

View attachment 43695

View attachment 43696

View attachment 43697

DSCN4071.jpg

DSCN4064.jpg

DSCN4065.jpg

DSCN4066.jpg

DSCN4067.jpg

DSCN4069.jpg

DSCN4070.jpg

I

ian lanc

Thanks for uploading the extra pic's. Even better now !

I never thought the kit had two options of the undercarriage ! Some how i thought it retracted like the Airfix 1/24th beasts :fool:

Most be very strong being designed that way unlike the big Airfix Mustang.

Cheers.

Ian.

B

beav1013

no problem ian. you actually have some metal support rods that get put between the 2 wheel strut pieces for both the front landing gear and the tail piece for support. with the full engine built, it's a bit heavy. the tail wheel still feels a little shaky to me though. if anything ever breaks, pretty sure it will be that.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for the extra pic's Jim. It's a great idea, making the model more dynamic.

Colin M...