First attempt.

M

msm2

Over the last few months I have been thinking about painting the markings on instead of using the decals. So tonight I had a go. Doesnt look to bad but I can improve on it. All comments and tips that would help most welcome.

Will need to use a better straight edge next time..

B

backonthecase

That's looking really good mate, a couple of little dinks on the first pic but damn that's a cracker, wouldnt guess it's your 1st attempt...

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I was thinking of making some of my own masks to do this too. Did you use the friskit for these? Still look good for a first go

G

Gomer Pyle

Painting the decals is just such a satisfaction when they turn out good - great to see your results! Here's a tutorial from IPMS-Stockholm, that helped me out a lot: Tech Tips: Don't Rely on Decals (Part One)

Good luck

/Daniel

C

cryton 5

hi dude ,looks good decal difficult on smaller models looking forward too seeing end .jim

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a good article. I think frisket or tape works well for straight forward markings like simplified Balkenkreuze or Swastikas,without fancy borders and also roundels as long as you have a compass cutter. I've never had the nerve to try more complicated markings.

If you still want to paint complicatd markings rather than using decals then pre-cut masks are available and can even be custom made just for you at very reasonable prices. Here's a shout out for Mal's Miracle Masks.

Home - MIRACLE PAINT MASKS

The website might need an update but I saw Mal a few weeks ago and he's definitely still in business. It's not something I'd do for every build but for a special project,why not?

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For anyone really into painting markings and doing lots of them Iwata, make a mask cutter that works like a printer. Design the markings in a paint program such as photoshop or the like. Transfer it to the soft ware for the 'printer' hit the button and it cuts the mask. I am desperately trying to get my local plastic pusher to buy one for the shop.

Sorry Tony, The markings look great for a first go, and as you said your self, a good strait edge is a good idea. ;)

I recall the satisfaction when I did a Spitfire and painted the all the markings except the factory number. (way to small in 1/48 for me to cut out).

Ian M

M

msm2

Cheers Guys. Been away for a few days so catching up with the posts.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
For anyone really into painting markings and doing lots of them Iwata, make a mask cutter
I've just been looking at one of them they aren't cheap, but you have made me think about getting one, would custom masks something people would be interested in?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I've just been looking at one of them they aren't cheap, but you have made me think about getting one, would custom masks something people would be interested in?
I would be interested.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't use masks enough to make it worth my while. Simple ones I can do already and if I decide to treat myself (and a model) to more complex ones I'll happily pay someone else to do me some. They usually come with some extras for the ham fisted.

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

Big disaster tonight. Masked one side up for the markings and sprayed a light coat over. Looked real good until I started to spray a second coat and the airbrush decided to do a wobbly on me. Large area sprayed in black and its bled under the mask. I think I can rescue it but will see in a few days time. I may look to buy another airbrush to replace this Spraymaster 135.