First completed build in 15+ years! - McLaren MP4-25

B

Baz_n

Right, here's my first completed model in about 15 years after picking up the tools again! The Mclaren MP4-25 Lewis Hamilton Formula 1 car. It was a challenge with many 'firsts' - I've never painted or decalled models previously when I did them as a youngster. It took me longer than I'd hoped to complete, but with 3 young boys it was always going to be difficult to find time to dedicate to the build.

View attachment 36366View attachment 36367View attachment 36368View attachment 36369View attachment 36370

It's far from perfect, but I enjoyed most of it and am overall pleased with the outcome! It came as part of a gift set (Button/Hamilton combo) so I've got the second car to improve things I learnt from this build on before moving onto other challenges. I've sent Santa (otherwise known as SWMBO!) a list of a few models I'd like for Christmas!!

Any comments/feedback welcomed, I'm particularly looking for advice on a couple of things:

> Adding decals (1) - some that came with the kit were larger than the space I had to put them in, is it possible/recommended to trim these before adding them?

> Adding decals (2) - how do you get decals to form perfectly over curves/awkward shapes? I have the Micro Set/Sol combo but still struggled to get some decals to sit flush (as you can see from the pics)

> Hand painting - I gave the model a couple of coats of paint following the rule of doing more, thin coats but still wasn't 100% happy with the results. Any tips out there for painting by hand?

Many thanks for looking and I look forward to receiving your comments...

Barry

View attachment 40627

View attachment 40628

View attachment 40629

View attachment 40630

View attachment 40631

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Barry, the model looks really well. I can see why you had difficulty with the decals!lol

There are a lot wiser heads on here where decal fixing is concerned, so I will leave it to them to assist with your first two question.

Regards brush painting, that's the only medium I use to paint my models, and from my own experience I have found for large areas Vallejo Model Colour works a treat, suitably thinned with water. John, here at S/M has a great range of these paints.

I hope you didn't try and brush paint the large areas with enamels? It is possible but very difficult to get a good finish with those!

One more tip, don't use pointed brushes for the large surfaces, always use flat, chisel head brushes for that....

Is this kit the Revell 1/24 one?

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well done Baz,that looks very nice.

I use the Microset/Microsol system myself. It works very well but of course decals vary tremendously. I've yet to use any decals that wouldn't submit to repeat applications of Microsol. Sometimes four or five applications over a couple of days!

There are stronger 'softeners' available but there is always the risk of destroying the decals.

You can certainly trim decals before applying them. I routinely divide large decals (like aircraft code letters which are not already seperate) and remove as much of the carrier film as I dare.

As far as brush painting,I defer to Ron.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks good to me. OK s couple of the decals, mainly the green stripe around the tyres, are a bit wonky, but I think most will struggle with those. I would of given up and painted the stripe. Not as impossible as it sounds, just mount the wheel on a good fitting strait stick and turn the wheel while holding the paint brush still.

As another microsol user I can only agree with Steve (stona). repeated applications of the stuff can beat all but the worst decals into submission. The only real trick is knowing when to stop!

A nice result and I am sure we are all looking forward to seeing the other car in the set.

Ian M

M

munkster

Having attempted (and abandoned!) an F1 car on my own return to the hobby last year I salute your perserverence because they aren't easy in my experience! I satisfied my desire to do an F1 car over the last couple of months and can't say it was any easier but at least I'd accrued a few more "skillz" to make it so I could actually finish it...

So, nice job and look forward to seeing how you tackle the second one.

I also had some round decals to go on the wheels of my recent F1 car and unlike you I gave up so fair play there too :smiling:

P

phalinmegob

looks pretty damn good to me compared to the ferrari f1 i did when i first started out.

B

Baz_n

Thanks for all the really positive comments, has given me the enthusiasm (and tips!) to get cracking on the second model of the set!

Ron - It certainly is the Revell 1/24 kit. I found it went together quite well but being an F1 car there was lots of fiddly bits which I'll hopefully have got the hang of for the next one! I also did paint the large areas with the enamel paint and a pointed brush - so I'll be investing in a wider range of brushes shortly...

Steve/Ian - Thanks for the tip on the decals, I hadn't even considered giving them another hit over a few days. So something else to practice on the next one!

I have to agree that the F1 car probably wasn't the easiest kit to make my return to modelling but at least I've not been put off by the challenge - think I'm more determined to ensure I see some improvements in the second one.

Thanks again for the kind words and helpful tips!

Barry

S

Sauber

Looks good for a first attempt in 15 years! I did this one a while back and already reminded the problematic areas that I, too, had trouble with (the main side pod decal is the main one). You seem to have dealt with these very well. Yes, a remarkably difficult one to choose for a comeback, agreed. My first 2 F1 cars ended in disaster. Do continue and I would love to see more from you... Great model!

P.s. I have just started on the Revell 1/24 Ferrari F10. I'll see how that one goes...

H

harrier-1973

Nice job Baz. I have the F10 kit and I am NOT looking forward to putting those decals on the tyres! I am half tempted to give the stripes a miss!