First diorama

G

Gdbjnr

evening all.

Sooo got bored of my models just lying around and the very understanding and paciant misses said why don't we put shelves up for them. I thought great idea. Which is amazing as she hast to put up with me plowing money into 3-4 expensive Hobbes of mine. Them being my models. Marine fish tank. My geckos and my cars lol

About a week later she said why don't you make sections of race track on the shelves adding a whole other dimension to it.

So off we went to a local diy supply store. And we bought a corner shelf

And this is we I am with it today

View attachment 113672

And a couple of pics from before the paint went on

View attachment 113673

View attachment 113674

I've tried to raise the curbs for a more realistic finish. I've got the grass on the out side to do and I'm going to build a wall and put an advertising banner on it in the corner. That's also the unfinished car that is going to be situated on it. I'm also going to get a small plaque engraved with the car and driver details on.

Help/ critasism appreciated lol

B3DDF720-5452-4C2B-8DBB-49F8DE9E5316.jpg

1BB7EA1B-6154-44B5-AA81-CDA84CCC0968.jpg

F4874EAC-EBE7-4F11-B5E5-B5280F578D94.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is looking good........Great job on the car.

G

Gdbjnr

The cars ok. But not happy with the paint so I've bowed keyed it back in and awaiting some zero paints to arrive to try again

Cheers for the comments

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Get some grass along the edges and it should just finish off the base,

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's a good start I like the Tarmac effect

M

My Model Car Workshop

Different! :smiling3: I think I would have brought the outer track curb to the edge of the shelf, which would have given you a wider tarmac area. It looks a bit narrow. Otherwise a good idea.

D

dubster72

Probably too late for this one, but how about a kind of blended look to the paint on the kerbs? It might give an impression of speed?

Other than that, its an excellent & novel idea!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,with a few washers in a gray will tone done the black,and as you do like cars,and

must know how they do take a turn,you should be able to pick up the warn lines a driver would,

use the most so it would be more worn than the rest,

and for the border with the red/white,a few tires makes would look good, ;)

G

Gdbjnr

Cheers everyone. I was going to bring it all the way out but wanted to add some grass for more colour.

The speed thing is a great idea I'll try that next time. Will be doing some more tonight so I will update.

I am struggling to come up with and idea for making the track look used. Ie tyre marks.

Also the Tarmac finish is quite rough. How would I smooth it out

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
what did you use for the tarmac,is it possible for you to sand it down a bit,to have

it less rough ? ;)

G

Gdbjnr

It's the Tarmac in a bag mixed with pva. I've tried to sand it down and it just rips it apart. One thing I was going to try is just putting more pva over the top but then it will give a gloss finish

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
For me the tarmac looks too dark, maybe lighten with a grey, use a sponge to dab on and build up areas.

To get tyre marks you could use thinned down oil paint (black ) you can drag across the curbs.

M

My Model Car Workshop

Years ago I built a 4mm (00 gauge) model tramway as part of a model railway lay out. The tram tracks were made from 00 gauge nickle silver rail, soldered to copper clad sleepers to provide the electrical power for the trams. The road surface was made from a mix of polyfilla and black acrylic paint, bought from a hobby shop. You will need a large plastic or glass bowl to mix everything together. It needs to be mixed so it is not runny, but spreadable. Try to mix a small amount first to get the colour right, by adding more or less black paint. Once you are happy with the colour, spread the mix to make your road surface and allow it to set overnight. You can then sand it down to get it smooth. Bear in mind it will dry a bit lighter than it looks when it is wet. You can always lighten or darken the surface once dried, by washing with matt or satin paint until you get the right shade you want.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Superb job makes a change from aircraft or armour like u say get some grass to add a different tone but top work for your first crack