First Kit Tamiya Panther A

A

andyco

Hi, First post, first kit in about 30 years, and my first tank.
I wanted to build a panther so chose the Tamiya 35065, mainly because it was the cheapest (little did I know I’d spend a fortune on tools and products).
I haven’t invested in an airbrush yet so I just used Tamiya TS-03 Dark Yellow spray can and TS-13 Clear.
Decals next then Wilder Dark Tan filter.332055332056332687

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Welcome Andyco,
That looks like a good start ;)

The kit is cheap because it has a few off-scale issues but it is exellent for practice and getting into the hobby again :thumb2:
I'm looking foreward to your next update.

Cheers and have fun ;)
Steven

A

andyco

thanks, yeah I have read that, but like you say, it’ll be ok for learning the techniques, I used to make airfix planes when I was younger and all I ever did was paint them.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I don't think that there ever has been a perfect scale plastic model, but unless you start using a vernier, you are not going to notice any difference - as long as it looks right, and you are satisfied, then it's OK.
Different job, if you're intending to enter a competition ( or you're a rivet counter ), then you can spend hours correcting 'errors'.
It comes down to your expectations - it's a very individual thing, no group of modellers will ever agree!
Main thing is to enjoy yourself, and be happy with the result
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your time here. It's a great place to share and learn.
Can't beat a Panther. Looks like you are doing a great job.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Andrew, a warm welcome to the forum.
I've built four of these so called 'Inferior' Panthers. I enjoyed every one of them, warts and all.
Personally I couldn't care less about inaccuracies in kits, I leave that to others with more dedication than me.

I just open the box, get stuck in and have fun.

Cheers.
Ron

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
these so called 'Inferior’ Panthers
Nothing “so called” about it — these are very inaccurate compared to just about every younger model of a Panther.

I enjoyed every one of them, warts and all.
That’s something entirely different. Of course you can greatly enjoy building a model that’s about as accurate as they come, but this doesn’t rule out enjoying building an accurate model either.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andy, Welcome to the "Hoard"! I hope you like it here, I sure do. Great bunch of modelers and very helpful. If you have questions there will be no end to the answers as many of us are eager to help sort out any difficulties you may encounter. Good luck and happy modeling. Rick H.:smiling:

A

andyco

First update

I put the Balkenkreuz decal on the back, still not sure whether to put them on the sides of the hull as well; and I picked up a set of drill bits with a bit small enough to drill out the cooling pipes.

Then I decided to put the tank to one side and work on the tracks - I sprayed them with Tamiya TS-63 NATO Black, and painted the contact bars and guide horns with Tamiya XF-16 Aluminium. Then painted the whole track with Wilder Dark Rust and dusted on some Industrial Dust and Light Rust pigments.

I’ll probably do the wheels next to try out the techniques I’m going to use on the rest of the tank.332210332211332212

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nothing “so called” about it — these are very inaccurate compared to just about every younger model of a Panther.

That’s something entirely different. Of course you can greatly enjoy building a model that’s about as accurate as they come, but this doesn’t rule out enjoying building an accurate model either.

Bait the hook, cast the line and wait....... All good, harmless fun eh?

Cheers.
Ron

A

andyco

Decals and Filter done (the white marks on the numbers are off thinners I used to clean the filter off, I’m gonna have to touch up with some paint I think).332635

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Andrew,
Keep up the good work and welcome to the mad house, well at least some of the regulars are....
Cheers, Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Andrew, welcome to the best forum there is.
Looks very nice paintwork and with a can, most impressed.
Certainly helps if you are slightly mad by the way, then you can join the Rabble. :smiling3:
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
You're making good progress and learning and having fun. And that is really what matters :smiling2::thumb2:
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Cracking build Andrew. Certainly all heading in the right direction:thumb2:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Welcome to the forum Andrew, a very nice start too. :thumb2:
your tracks are looking good as well,

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Excellent progress Andy, I'm looking forward to the next steps in this build. Rick H.