First Military Campaign advice

L

Laurie

Got all the Airfix Herrick group lined up. Merlin, the first of the group, finished now I want to get stuck into the military vehicles.

This is my first foray into this side of model making and I am looking forward to this. Seems to follow a similar thing to aircraft, The question is does it ? o_O. Any advice will be gratefully received about what to and what not to. ;)

I have the Warrior Jackal and Coyote plus Quad bikes. But also the two Landrovers. Think as the Landrovers look less daunting I will start with one of them. The WM1K which has an SAS feel with machine guns sticking out.

Using Acrylics.

Laurie

First Name
Richard
Hi Laurie,

can't give you that much of advice about the difference between building planes and military vehicles, because i never build a plane before, but in my opinion its not so different, building is the same, weathering I think is different, but with the DVD you got there from Mig you are on the right track.

Cheers Richi

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
easy....do what i do when i approach a genre ive never tried before

dont think 'its something different...what do i do?'.....think 'its just a box of plastic bits like everything else ive done'

its no different from doing an aircraft, just a different shape....that way it takes out all the 'mystery' or apprehension

just read the instuctions a lot and work out where you can do sub assemblies to make painting easier, something like a wmik or jackel which is quite open but has lots of kit attached id make up the basic vehicle, paint it and all the gubbins seperatly, then attach the gubbins

and get some sand weathering powders :D

D

dubster72

Laurie, as someone who's first love is armour, but has also ventured into aircraft, the basic steps of construction are much the same.

Weathering in a harsh climate such as the 'Stan will be heavier than what you're previously used to perhaps.

The Vallejo DVD will be an excellent resource to use, as will whatever pictures you can find online. Doing modern stuff allows you the huge benefit of colour photos!

If you need specific advice during the builds, obviously feel free to ask - myself or anyone else will be glad to offer ideas / techniques.

L

Laurie

Thanks Richi Paul and Patrick.

You are right on the DVD Patrick. Got a little experience with the Merlin attempting sand weathering which should be of a help. Starting on the smaller one first which will help with the techniques before the monsters.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cock-pit = passenger compartment

Fuselage = bodywork

Undercarriage = Wheels suspension

Bomb bay = cargo area.

LOL

Look forward to seeing how you get on with them.

Ian M

L

Laurie

\ said:
Hi Laurie!I built a Land Rover TUM six months ago, take a look and if you are looking for a similar one I will be more than glad to help you ;)

When I build some Land Rover I usually separate three parts:

1-Wheels

2-Chassis

3-Body Is an easy way to paint and weather all them, and of course, glue them as well :smiling3: Regards Polux

\ said:
Cock-pit = passenger compartmentFuselage = bodywork

Undercarriage = Wheels suspension

Bomb bay = cargo area.

LOL Look forward to seeing how you get on with them. Ian M
Come on chaps which way and no arguing otherwise I will call out the moderators. :D

Thanks to you both. Thanks Polux for your offer. Perhaps I will do a build and you can be my guru.

Looking forward to this after 6 years of aircraft.

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I wish you luck with your venture into military vehicles,Laurie ;)

as all the above is great advice,and some one of your skills with planes should have no

trouble with vehicles,:rolleyes:

and i think you will do a great job with them,as if you look at what others do we all have

a style that suits us with each build,

and if you get into trouble its only a post away from getting help, :D

L

Laurie

\ said:
I wish you luck with your venture into military vehicles,Laurie ;) as all the above is great advice,and some one of your skills with planes should have no

trouble with vehicles,:rolleyes:

and i think you will do a great job with them,as if you look at what others do we all have

a style that suits us with each build,

and if you get into trouble its only a post away from getting help, :D
That is lovely Moni and much appreciated.

Think you have hit a spot. I am realising more and more as I look at others peoples models and my own how each of us has our own style of doing things. We may all start from a common denominator but this goes off and grows a personal style of it's own. Changing and adapting with ideas from others but all the time pursuing that individualistic style. I find it incredible that two people producing the same model can both produce something attractive but so different.

Laurie

P

Polux

Laurie, you quoted my post....but there isn' nothing write there....

You want comment or need something?

L

Laurie

\ said:
Laurie, you quoted my post....but there isn' nothing write there....You want comment or need something?
Click at the bottom of the yellow window Pollux and it comes up. Why it does that I am at a loss to know.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Why it does that I am at a loss to know.Because you typed your message within the quote Laurie.
Ian M