Fixing Mig Pigments

D

dazt2801

I am trying to get my head around using the different products avaliable to get a decent weathered appearence.

If I used a thinner to fix the Mig Pigments in place, would this cause any oils I have used previously to run. I am new to the hobby and so I am unsure as to what would happen with different products.

Cheers Darren

B

backonthecase

Welcome Darren it's always good to see new members.

As long as there's a protective layer of acrylic in between, you're sorted! So it will go top layer of paint -> acrylic varnish/similar -> pigments -> fixer.

Alternatively, Mig makes their own pigment fixer which works a treat but can be expensive

Hope this helps

Stuart

D

dazt2801

Okay

With regards to fixing the pigments, if I applied a coat of matt cote over the oils and then sealed the pigments in with an acrylic thinner, would that cause any problems.

Or would I need to use an enamel thinner to seal in the pigments.

My head is in a spin as to what to do.

Cheers Darren

K

Krieg-Hammer

You can use IPA, Isopropyl alcohol or also known as rubbing alcohol. It's cheap, you can buy a litre for £3 or so! I have it sitting in the house and this is what I am going to use to fix chalk pastel to my model to act as dirt/mud etc....

B

backonthecase

What he said :smiling3: IPA or surgical spirit works, as does windscreen washer fluid. And is a fraction of the price of the "real" stuff. When buying windscreen fluid, get the one that operates to the lowest temp, as this contains the highest amount of alcohol.

HTH

Stuart

K

Krieg-Hammer

Update on my first use of IPA and chalk pastels. Brushed the crushed pastel all over straight onto the tank.... seemed to stick fairly easy and this was without any glue or fixed. So on the other side, tried dipping paint brush in IPA and then dipped it in the crushed pastel. Smeared on one side of the turret so don't recommend that method. So continued to dry brush it all over. Once that was complete, used a dropper and dropped small splashes of IPA over the hull. All ok.

Next mud effect for the wheels and side track armour. This time I dropped IPA first into the places I wanted mud to be. Then I sprinkled the crushed pastel into place. All ok so far.... however, once near dry, I picked up tank and a section of paint lifted up!!! Not sure why this has happened, as I used acrylic paint which has a gloss varnish, oil wash then Matt varnish. But anyway, first attempt at all of this, so good learning here on how things react with each other. The model is a 1:72 scale tank so quite small. Perhaps on a larger model this method may be easier to do. Will get pic up in the under construction section.