Flanker B Build 1/48 scale

K

kaiyudsai

Here is my progress so far copied from a few threads...... It's turning out to be alot of fun

Just got started on a couple of resin cockpits.... Flanker cockpit is the Aires one... and the Mig-21 MF is a cheap black box cockpit I picked up for $5 at a show... Im doing a Flanker build with a few guys on this forum..... and just doing the Mig 21 cockpit for some practice before starting my 1/32 scale one.....

Paints are by AKAN... they spray really nice as long as you thin them with DI water.... DONT use Alcohol or windex with them....

Got a little more progress done..... sorry about the pic quality I didnt have a chance to fix white balance and exposure issues with software yet..... THese are the white metal landing gear... painted with dark anodic gray metalizer(lower) and Gunze engine gray (upper) the metal gear from SAC was a pleasure to work with....

finally git the quickboost nose to fit flush.... it was a little larger by 1.13 mm ... so I glued it then mated them and rescribed..... I will start priming the exterior tonigbht... cheers

A little more progress... got my preshading done.... yes a bit messier than some of you guys.. but I have found a method I like..... using both black and white primer for my preshading.... It kind of helps give that scale effect....

Got my Steel heat shields done on the engines and gun..... I used Alclad (Steel, Pale Burnt Metal, Stainless Steel, Magnesium, Hot metal Sepia, Blue, and Violet, and transparent smoke.... then coated with alclad light sheen.. I was horrified to see the paint chip on the left engine Ive got to fix that . then cure before i mask and start the splinter scheme..... Doing Ukrainian Red 56 Last pic is the missles AA-10 from Eduard Brassin,..... I just laid down the titanium metalizer for the control surfaces.... then I will shoot white amd airframe aluminun .... cheers

M

mobear

where the heck you been hiding this aircraft stunning so far

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is looking rather special. I love the heat staining and that/those cockpits are amazing!

Ian M

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I presume this is the Academy kit? If so. Excellent. I have this in my stash

T

treyzx10r

Marc looking real sharp ,the office is over the top! Looking forward to seeing more

K

kaiyudsai

\ said:
Marc looking real sharp ,the office is over the top! Looking forward to seeing more
Thanks all...... yes its the Academy kit..... there were some fit issues but I just took my time with it and did ALOT of sanding , filling, and rescribing... Ive been kind of putting this one off because well... i was afraid of it(got alot into aftermarket on this one) and I didnt want to blow it.... so I just slowed down...(a month in or so).... I just masked off the heat shields and Im starting laying down the base coat....

Ukrainian late bird circa 2001 ish..... I decided not to model a particular serial number since Im missing Blue 56 in this scale but im doing the second paint job put on blue 56 in 2001 for the Ukrainian demo team..... Its a really bright splinter....almost Khazakstan bright,....

Armament will be 2 Alamo AA-10 IR homing and 2x AA-10 active radar (Eduard Brassin kits) and 2x R-8 rocket pods..... 2x Sorbitsya Jamming pods (wingtips) and 2x Archer short range radar....

The Flanker is hands down my favorite jet....and I plan on doing the UB in Etrician livery next... then doing the trumpter big one....

More pics coming soon ... thanks again

C

Caledonia

Lovely job Marc, my favourite aircraft too, I did the Trumpeter 1/32 so I hope you have a lot of shelf space, look forward to seeing the finished bird. Cheers Derek

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Nice job so far! Are you doing more shading on the exhaust area? I have enver seen them discoloured in this way yet. I am building one myself at the moment - should be done next week.

K

kaiyudsai

This was my interpretation of the steel.... Aoll of the references I have have quite a bit of a mess on the heat shields... they are made of Stainless steel,.... and have two titanium plates on each side.... so I tried to shade accordingly... I am planning on doing some highlights when I weather which will add that stainl;ess steel shine..... but all the heat discoloration is staying.....

Whew.!!! that was a bit stressful!!! this was my first attempt at a complicated splinter scheme...... It was ALOT of work... and hours of time masking.... but it was so satisfying to peel the final masks off revealing a nice camo pattern... THere are a few issues I had... 1 - THe gray paint needed a rather thick coat to stand up to the blue below... that is the only step that shows.... the other colors were very rich and went on rather thin.... I think i can mediate this issue with micromesh and clear coat... I figure Ill give it 2 days of curing before I even handle it again.... I only had one spot that peeled up paint.... and only 2 spots that leaked under the stencil.... I have alot of touching up to do which is to be expected..... but all in all Im pretty happy... Thia was done using AKAN paint.... yes the blues are brighht..... but its spot on with the Ukrainian colors for Blue 56....... PS... the missles are really coming out nice they are Eduard Brassin AA-10's... Im putting 3 of these on ... 2 archers... 2 jamming pods on the wongtips... and a pair of R-8 AtoG rockets........ I havent decided if Im going to use future or alclad yet.... any thoughts???? I have 2 days to decide...... contest is on Satuyrday..... hopefully I can finish

K

kaiyudsai

PS: keep in mind all of these pics were taken under my crappy flourescent work lights...... I havent done any photo processing to adjust white balance for the build pics...... In person the colors look alot brighter

M

mobear

keep in mind,what now.thats amazing paintwork 5stars here

mobear

ps i would be bug eyed doing it lol

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Nice job on the camo! One suggestion, if I may - R-27s have forward small stabilizators in white colour, while forward (movable) fins have a thin white leading edge.

First Name
Michael
Really loving this build, superb paint job. Makes me want to do a modern aircraft.

K

kaiyudsai

yeah.... i painted them titanium first.... and then put down the white using maskol..... Im going to brush on the leading edge ..well I shiould probably take the time to mask,.........I forgot that the front fins were white too and masked them LOL... I did learn a valuble lesson though... Maskol sucks for this sort of application.... except it actually buffed my metalizer during the process of removing it...LOL

These Alamos are really nice(Eduard Brassin.) Probably the best missles Ive ever gotten...... Im adding some R-8 pods as well on the engine nacelle mounts... wingtip Sorbitsya pods..... Archers on the first station the the AA-10 on the second wing station I cracked one of the four R-27's.... So I have 3 luckily I can mount the odd one in the tunnel... and leave an empty pylon....

put on about a third of my Begemot stencils only about 200 left to go LOL!!!

Last edited:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A beautiful flanker Marc, your patient work has really paid off.

Tony.

K

kaiyudsai

some more progress,..... stencils down and decals.... unfortunately I had two that were unclear on the location diagram and I placed them without checking the pics... and they dont belong there... on the port side under the cockpit... I couldnt get them off without destroying my finish so Im just going to leave them.... got my first Flory wash off..... I used black since it really stood out nicely.. and these Flankers are notoriously dirty,,.... Unfortunately ... I only had Bort no 56 in 32 scale... so I used 57.,... even though in reality 57 is painted with stripes on the wings.... creative license//// LOL

a water compass in the resin molding!