Fly Bachem 349 "Natter"

M

mobear

bit like a firework,lite touch paper run away woosh,then they put a stick in it and said this way left this way right red button fire,if you can see the object as wooosh past it lol,still really nice the work you put into the build and the research.

mobear

First Name
Michael
This is a really great thread Steve, thanks.

I find this late war aviation fascinating, there was mad scramble post war to get this technology among other things ( the Russians were desperate for German nuclear research too). As I'm sure your all too aware this German rocketry is the progenitor of the Saturn 5 system which took man to the moon.

Really enjoying this, M

C

CDW

Nice interior job ... simple but neat and tidy all the same.

I'd definilty NOT want to achieve mach 1 sitting on a slatted bench with only a couple of "pads" as back rests. :smiling3: :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I'd definilty NOT want to achieve mach 1 sitting on a slatted bench with only a couple of "pads" as back rests. :smiling3: :smiling3:
Indeed. There is a bit of disparity between the kit headrest and the one apparently fitted on Sieber's aircraft. I have a translation of the report on his flight and it says that the canopy flew off when the aircraft rolled,shortly after launch,due to Sieber being pressed against it. When the canopy was torn off the headrest went with it, with disastrous results.

According to fellow test pilot Hans Zubert, the development program was not ready to make a manned,powered,flight in February 1945 when pressure was put on Bachem by the SS (who were financing the affair). It was this that led to Sieber's ill fated and ill judged attempt on 1st March.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Always a treat to have the back ground info to go with a subject,thanks for taking the time to add it Steve. Office is coming along nicely.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got Lothar on board and strapped in with a double amputation at the ankle!

I've also zipped up the fuselage. The fit of the kit is not fantastic but then it's a relatively limited run by a small company. Plenty of dry fitting and a few swipes with the wet 'n' dry sort most of it out.

I've started work on the wings and tail assembly. The kit has options for several versions but no information on which is what so you'll have to do your research! The tail assembly was changed considerably during development. There were also a couple of variations to the booster rockets.

Cheers

Steve

M

mobear

looking good,i see youve hid his face is this because you told him what happens next?lol

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
looking good,i see youve hid his face is this because you told him what happens next?lolmobear
Very good Ole,but no :smiling3:

I was trying to show his shoulder straps,though not very well!

Maybe I should repaint his face with a very pale complexion. I'd be ashen faced sitting on top of that firework.

Cheers

Steve

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
The build is coming along great Steve, and the info about the pilot and his ill fated flight makes it all the more interesting.

Looking forward to more.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the construction done. There are not many parts but they do need a bit of fiddling to make everything fit. Only the wings and lower tail have locating pins.....and I cut them off!

It's primed in white which doesn't make for exciting photos.

The strange bits on the rear fuselage are the attachments (all photoetch) for the booster rockets which I am attaching at the end.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Steve Looking forward to the camo.

Vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've masked the white (you'll see) and sprayed and masked the red bands,nose and aluminium access panels. Following all that I've got a basic coat of RLM 76 on.

It was too dark for a photo so I'll take one tomorrow before I attempt the very heavy "scribble" camouflage.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Never did take a piccy of the RLM 76! It doesn't matter,it looked like the primer only slightly bluer :smiling3:

I have applied the camouflage. This is what I'm after:

Every reference says that this is an RLM 74 mottle. Well I disagree! It was very late war,RLM 74 was discontinued and more importantly,these aircraft were being secreted in forests. The plan was to have launched them from clearings using freshly cut pine trunks as launch towers. I would camouflage such an aircraft green,not grey,so that's what I've done with a scribble of RLM 83.

Here's my effort:

I'll be masking this and getting the black undersides done tomorrow with a bit of luck.....you can't rush enamels,which is a good thing.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That looks really nice you've done a fantastic job on the camo. What pressure and needle size do you use?

Vaughan

M

mobear

ermmm thats way to good for my liking,its a 5* camo job so far

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps.

Vaughan I did the camo with my trusty old (very old!) Iwata Revolution BR which I'm fairly sure has a 0.3mm nozzle and definitely has a conveniently small paint cup. I used WEM Colourcoat's RLM 83 thinned about 50/50 with white spirits and a pressure of about 15 psi. I got in really close for some fine lines but varied it a bit. The original was probably sprayed by a relatively unskilled painter and I bet he got further away on the hard to reach bits!

Cheers

Steve

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
the level of detail is superb as per usual steve ... it is practically an exact replica of the photo ... enjoy yr work ..,. cheers lindsey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ahead of the game! I sprayed the black last night and unmasked this morning.

I'm working from the photos of this machine and this profile. It's not exactly what I've done (you can play spot the difference) but we all interpret B+W images differently.

A coat or two of Klear next,once my den warms up a bit :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: