Flying the AVIOS Lockheed C-130 HERCULES-Trimming and flying notes by Wonwing.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This impressive four engined radio model was introduced by AVIOS making its debut in Australia around 2 years ago,after a delayed start in making these available we managed to get hold of one in the very attractive 'Blue Angels' scheme,the first attempts to fly her the aircraft never got to the end of the runway as a faulty ESC Speed controller packed up thankfully whilst performing a transmitter to receiver range check,further delays with Messrs Hobbyking not the best people for customer relations saw a set of four replacements ESC's in the post,some new propellers were also sent as there had been examples of props failing later found out to be due to over tightening of the blades onto the motor shafts.
This model relies heavily on what are called sequencers so the wheel doors fold up after the undercarriage is raised and after the undercarriage is lowered,this too has been found to be a source of problems and on one occasion I had to make a wheels up landing with the nose leg extended only,a teardown and check seems to have rectified the issue,when you realise this model is sold at over £300 these faults should have been ironed out before the model was put on general release.

The Maiden flight.

The take off roll was kept nice and long remaining in ground effect the full length of the airstrip then gently applying back pressure on the stick,the C-130 lifted off cleanly and was soon at around 300 feet,I applied a little forward trim to push the nose down then went into a gentle turn to port keeping the speed up as these are known to tip stall if the flying speed is allowed to decay,in fact the C-130 is quite skiddy in a turn and I kept the power on slowly easing back to cool the motors now we were at a safe height to try her out,the flaps were deployed with very little trim change but full deployment of what are known as the inboard wing chord extenders together with the flaps I noticed an uncomfortable nose high attitude,a landing was tried in this configuration but I would not recommend it,the C-130 will land fine without the flaps and certainly recommended for pilots of average flying ability.
Yes the wing tip stall issue has been experienced mostly whilst flying too slowly with a wind component,this model needs care and has to be flown all the time,much better to fly her on fast than land too slowly.

In dull conditions the landing and navigation LED's look very realistic,the rear door deploys to drop miniature parachutists and loads just like the real thing.

Summing up if you want a really eye catching four engined model then this fits the bill nicely,however it is not a beginners flying model by any means,it requires skill and concentration to get the very best from it,the wingtip stall problem could have been avoided if AVIOS had incorporated some wingtip washout so the high aspect ratio wing stalled at the root first,manufacturers constantly overlook this in these small multi engined models to make them more pleasant to handle.

Taxying out on the ground with the adequate nosewheel steering is a pleasure to behold,sitting running up at the end of the runway looks most impressive.

Attachments

• pic_slideshow.jpg
    pic_slideshow.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Impressive looking model Barry, interesting to read your report.