Foamboard help?

B

beastiebaiter

Hi,

I'm very new to diorama making, and I've been watching a few youtube videos and notice a lot of people use a pink foam board. I'm based in the UK and I wanted to know what is the name of this item? Or where can I buy it, atm I've tried polystyrene, but the little balls show up too much, and I've also tried foam bricks that people use for floral crafting. This worked better but seems to have pockets of air bubbles in them (see attached) and I wanted to know what one do you use? (again I'm in the UK so it might have a different name in the US).

Thanks for any help.

20160809_221601.jpg

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I use woodland scenics rock moulding kits and have used cork in the past. Any good model railway shop will stock them.

D

dubster72

Rather than using expanded polystyrene, try the extruded polystyrene instead. It's composition is much denser & can be cut or shaped without chunks falling off. 

It's similar to the Oasis floral stuff that you've already tried, but more workable & regular - no annoying air pockets!

As Rick said, cork makes excellent rocks with careful painting.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You should be able to buy it in B&Q and their like.  It is an insulation board used in house building and depending on the make is pink or blue and comes in several thicknesses.

N

noble

for rock faces I use 50mm thick foam board that you would use for insulating a loft, this works well as it can be easily carved

B

beastiebaiter

You should be able to buy it in B&Q and their like.  It is an insulation board used in house building and depending on the make is pink or blue and comes in several thicknesses.

I did try B&Q but my local one had nothing in the insulation area apart from the soft rolled up insulation :sad:  I might try another B&Q, only thing close was the underlay insulation but that was about 5mm, not deep enough for what I wanted.

B

beastiebaiter

for rock faces I use 50mm thick foam board that you would use for insulating a loft, this works well as it can be easily carved

That's what I've been after, but my local B&Q didn't have any, and I can't see any on screwfix.com

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Here you go Tom:

http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/insulation-boards/electric/xp-pro-insulation-board

You can get the XPS boards in a range of thicknesses, and when I bought mine (I got the more expensive blue one so I don't know what the budget stuff is like) they were prepared to supply mixed thicknesses instead of minimum quantities of a single size. I had to email them for a quote but they were excellent. They got back to me the same day with a very good price.

B

beastiebaiter

Here you go Tom:

http://www.theunderfloorheatingstore.com/insulation-boards/electric/xp-pro-insulation-board

You can get the XPS boards in a range of thicknesses, and when I bought mine (I got the more expensive blue one so I don't know what the budget stuff is like) they were prepared to supply mixed thicknesses instead of minimum quantities of a single size. I had to email them for a quote but they were excellent. They got back to me the same day with a very good price.

Great Stuff,

Thanks for that, if my next B&Q trip fails I will buy it from here :D