Follow exactly or put your own spin

M

Mark P

I have been building a Ducati 1199 Panigale for the past few weeks and the more I look at the build the more I am putting my own spin on it. I was going to follow exactly but then my brain started ticking about if it was my own bike would I change certain things which I have! I know a lot of models need to be copied (you cant paint a tank luminous orange ;) ) but with cars, bikes and trucks do you follow the paint code or do you put your own spin on it?

D

Deleted member 4539

Whatever the model you do,it's your's,so you can do what you like with. :smiling3:

I've painted bikes and cars without following the painting guide.

With figure's,ship's and armour, I tend to get close to history as much as I can.

But most of all, it's your's so have fun. :D

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I have been building a Ducati 1199 Panigale for the past few weeks and the more I look at the build the more I am putting my own spin on it. I was going to follow exactly but then my brain started ticking about if it was my own bike would I change certain things which I have! I know a lot of models need to be copied (you cant paint a tank luminous orange ;) ) but with cars, bikes and trucks do you follow the paint code or do you put your own spin on it?
Bugger, I must re spray my Tangoed tank....... ;) But, I agree with Ralph, it's your model and if you want to change things why not? As far as bikes are concerned, if I were doing a replica of Aggostini's Agusta then I wouldn't alter anything but a road bike with a custom scheme, why not.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Whatever the model you do,it's your's,so you can do what you like with. :smiling3:
I've painted bikes and cars without following the painting guide.

With figure's,ship's and armour, I tend to get close to history as much as I can.

But most of all, it's your's so have fun. :D
I agree. As far as trying to replicate a real historical ship/vehicle/aircraft etc., it is worth remembering that not all painting guides get it right :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
It is your model, do what you want and damn the purists. In fact 90% of modellers who do stick to the correct paint codes etc admire models that are different, either in design or paint scheme. Makes it different.

D

Deleted member 3568

I hardly ever stick to painting guides, I believe do it your way.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i agree with others

its your model so you do it how you want

me i tend to stick to what it should be for military subjects but do as i want with cars/bikes..........within reason.....if its supposed to be a replica race car/bike then it has to be the right colours but road going cars get done it all sorts of colours, depends on what rattlecans i have

once did a '68 Ford Mustang ( the one that steve mcqueen drove in bullitt) in bubble gum pink just for a laugh and got a lot of grief for it on a certain forum especially from americans saying how could i do it to such an icon.(which made me glad i had done it just to wind them up).....til someone said casually 'well it did come in that colour'.....looked it up and Playboy Pink was always an limited edition optional extra back then lol lol so i got the last laugh when i pointed that out

S

stuart.c.82

I agree

unless it's a depiction of something famous/well known I'd try to make improvements to the spec they give you

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No no no you must follow the instructions to the letter honest.

The kit manufactures never get them wrong do they.

Like the rest say it's your kit, if you would change a real bike to your taste why not a kit.