FREE Pool Runs!

M

Mankster

Here a message posted by Andy on the subcommittee board The SubCommittee I don’t know of any other free pool runs in the UK, so these are not be missed. I know some of the Black Park submarine brigade frequent this site so pass the word, it should be within striking distance from your waters on a Sunday during the close season. Pass it on to anyone who may be interested.

Pool runs at Brockwell LidoI've put off posting about this until I had some feedback from key members who've expressed an interest in the past regarding pool runs.

Fusion, the company that manages Brockwell Lido, which is based in Herne Hill, South/South-East London, has offered us the use of their excellent lido facilties for no cost during the autumn, winter and early spring months. The pool is open to swimmers from May until September, the rest of the year the pool is not in use.

Pool_1_001.jpg

The pool is quite large 50 metres by 25 meters wide, or 164 feet by 82 feet for those working in old money. This should suit all but the largest of boats (32nd parallel Gato owners may feel a tad cramped;)). The pool was completely refurbished over a two year period at a cost of £3million. The pool dates back to 1937 and is a grade II listed Art Deco structure. Please visit the website for more information on the site and facilites-

Brockwell Lido, The Pool

Transport wise, the pool has it's own carpark. For those travelling by public transport, the facility is very close to Herne Hill railway station. Brixton is the nearest tube, which is on the Victoria line, the Lido is about half a mile from the station- you can get a cab or take a bus to the lido. Bus routes passing by Brockwell park are numbers 3, 196, 322.

So far feedback has inidicated that monthly meetings would be optimal. We are able to hold more meetings than this, the only stipulation from the pool management is that everyone holds model insurance and that we get a reasonable number of folk turning up.

The meetings will be open to Sub Committee and AMS. Newcomers and non members of either organisation are also welcome, but you will be required to demonstrate proof of valid insurance cover if you wish to sail.

I'm happy to organise a monthly metting. A higher frequency of meetings could prove tricky, as my job requires me to work some weekends and various shifts, so I would look for an assistant or two to manage things when I am unavailable. Ramesh(Wheelerdealer) has already kindly offered to help out where possible, but the more the merrier.

I am formulating some dates for next year. I propose that we meet on the first or second Sunday of the month starting at 10-00am finishing at 16-00pm-

12th October 08

2nd November 08

7th December 08

11th January 09

1st February 09

15th March 09

5th April 09

There may also be the possibility of using the pool during the Summer months (assuming we get a Summer this year, we had about one day last year!). The availability will be reduced, but possibly an evening session, if there is any demand.

This is where you guys come in- I need your support to make this work. I'm aware some of you live a good distance, but if you can make one or two then please pipe up, also please let folk know who are not internet savvy- I can be contacted by telephone, email and snail mail. My details are here-

The SubCommittee

Andy

N

new to trains

need to find the leak on my submersible first !- but sounds like fun !