Freedom Model Kits MIM-14 Nike Hercules, 1:35

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Taking far longer than I had expected when I bought the kit, this model is now done. You can read the (short) build thread here.

IMG_0871.jpegIMG_0872.jpegIMG_0874.jpeg

And a picture with Trumpeter’s S-75 Dvina (“SA-2 Guideline”) that I built around twenty years ago when it was new:

IMG_0875.jpeg

Despite the S-75 being on some groundwork that adds about 1.5 cm to its height, the Nike is still clearly taller …

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's very nice Jakko and certainly makes an unusual model . These things were certainly huge, about 35/40 feet maybe, and they were in service over a long period. You'll have to build a Patriot to show the timeline :smiling:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
certainly makes an unusual model .
That’s pretty much what attracted me to it :smiling3:

These things were certainly huge, about 35/40 feet maybe
The missile alone was about 12 metres long (“approximately 39 feet” says the technical manual for it) and weighed close to 5 tonnes …

and they were in service over a long period. You'll have to build a Patriot to show the timeline :smiling:
That, and an MIM-23 Hawk :smiling3: Both of those were/are in RNLAF service and are available in 1:35, but especially the Patriot is expensive enough that I don’t feel like buying it for something I don’t find all that interesting. I would certainly build the Hawk first, if I did decide to expand my collection of SAMs.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s why I like kits like this: something different :smiling3: I kind of had my eye on it for a few months, after I came across it on Scalemates, but restrained myself. Until the model show about five weeks ago, when I had decided I would go around the trade stalls and buy something to build at the show over the weekend. One of the stands had this kit, and it looked like a good choice: a missile, so not that many parts, should be doable to put it together over two days. And it would have been, had this kit been by Tamiya, Takom, RFM, Meng, or similar …

But if you think this is different, just wait for the one I’m waiting for too (because I ordered it a few days ago :smiling3: ).

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Hawk system was kinda cool as there was several elements to model. Didn't Renwal do one decades ago? I think there was long range acquisition, & short range tracking radars, head shed, launcher & a neat little tractor to carry reloads.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think Renwall had one in one of those odd 1950s fit-the-box scales, but Dragon and AFV Club have the basic launcher in 1:35. The only western SAM of this kind of size that you can probably build with all its ancillary equipment is probably the Patriot, though — unless you like scratchbuilding large stuff, anyway :smiling3:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Trident still offers all eight elements of the Hawk AA system in1/87, but at very high prices, $30+@.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job jakko , and certainly different from the usual . brilliant job of highlighting/ shading the all white missile , a tricky job , cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Trident still offers all eight elements of the Hawk AA system in1/87, but at very high prices, $30+@.
For the whole system, or for the individual components? I’m guessing the latter :smiling3: This Nike kit cost me about €45, BTW, and if I’m honest, I would consider half that to be a good price for what you get …

brilliant job of highlighting/ shading the all white missile , a tricky job
Actually, I found that surprisingly easy :smiling3: I just sprayed the whole missile a pale grey (GW Corax White from an aerosol can), then sprayed white into the centres of the panels, added translucent dark grey paint into all the panel lines with a fine brush (wiping off the excess with my finger), and finally drybrushed the whole thing with matt white, especially the edges of the fins. It’s a fair amount of work, but provided you can spray reasonably fine lines with your airbrush, not really difficult.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yeah Jakko, at $30+ per piece it comes to a prohibitive $240+ for the system. I think it was deployed as six launchers (18 rockets) controlled by the system & later versions (90s) were swarm defense anti missile capable.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And that’s just the launchers and immediate auxiliary stuff, then — you’d need plenty of trucks and other vehicles for a true complete battery …

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think you deserve
download THE DOGS.jpg
Jakko, congratulations.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thank you very much :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, though it was just a fairly straightforward paint job, IMHO :smiling3: At least I didn’t have to weather this one, that saved a lot of effort :smiling3: