SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats looking brill Ian.

Nice work.

Tony.

D

dubster72

I have to say you did a great job there Ian & even without the final finishing touches it's an excellent build! Is that the "Sturmvogel" variant? It's quite a mean looking machine, the Me-262.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job ian! The mottle and paintwork is super, and its good to see you havent forgotten the nose weight ( like I did when I did my 262 !!!DOH!!!) I really love to see an old kit get a new lease of life , with details added from scratch , and resulting in a lovely build like this.Looking forward to the finished pics ,5 stars at the ready! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's looking good. My favourite jet! Top job on the mottle.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the kind words everyone, and Patric yes its the Sturvogel variant the fighter bomber although it had only two cannons up front to reduce the weight so i'm lead to believe . But im sure someone will put me right if i'm wrong, but it shows 4 on the model and i'm not sure if thats the case also

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's an Me262A-2a to give its correct designation. It belonged to 1./KG 51 "Eidelweiss" (cue singing nun). The aircraft individual letter (F) and nose and tail tips are all in the Staffel colour,white.

Two 30mm MK 108 cannon were fitted in this version though some still had four gun ports. This unit typically outlined the lower,active,gun ports in white,a bit tricky at 1/72. They also carried two ETC 503 bomb racks as shown on the model.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I typed that reply without looking anything up and since I got home I thought I should check a little niggling doubt I had.

As usual with the Luftwaffe nothing is simple.

It turns out (as I had a suspicion) that the -2a dash number was discontinued in late December 1944. The two cannon were removed on that version for weight reasons. The undercarriage wasn't strong enough to carry the extra weight of fuel in the extra tank now being fitted and a bomb load along with all four cannon and their associated gubbins. There were serious centre of gravity problems when the bombs were dropped which meant that all sorts of complicated tank switching procedures had to be carried out.

New undercarriage developed by Messerschmitt and Opel allowed the LANDING weight to be increased to 5,700 Kg which allowed a fighter bomber to have a TAKE OFF weight of 7,100 Kg. This meant that the two upper cannon were now fitted as standard.

9K+FH has the werknummer 111685. This gives a very late production date in February/March 1945. This means that it was designated an Me262A-1a/Jabo. It had all four cannon and the two ETC racks.

There were still CoG problems and the ETC (bomb) racks were aircraft specific,often carrying the aircraft's werknummer,hand painted.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Steve for the information on my build its great to findout a little about the ( in this case ) the plane and owner/s i should start looking up on more info when i start anyway thanks again

First Name
Dave
I built the Monogram 1/48 ME262 almost 20 years ago.I finished it in the kit colour scheme and markings which by coincidence were the same as this model.Although monograms suggested camouflage scheme was a bit different (see my gallery).I must say you've done a great job on this old Frog kit.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just a quick update,I like to get things correct.

I've had a chance to look this aircraft up in Dan O'Conell's "Me262 - The Production Log 1941-1945" which I had loaned out but came home this morning.

It is listed as an A-2a. In a photograph of the aircraft as it was found at the side of the autobahn in the Hofoldinger forest south of Munich,near Neubiberg, the gun bay is open and there are definitely four cannon fitted.

It's BAL acceptance flight was on 13/3/45 at Kitzingen.

On the evening of 15/3/45 it was ferried from Kitzingen to Hopsten (370 Km) and delivered to 1./KG51.

Around 26/4/45 it was ferried to Riem and transferred to JV44.

It was dragged into a field and scrapped in May 1945.

Cheers

Steve