Fujimi 1/24 Ford GT40 Mk.11 - 1966 LeMans winner

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
After a couple of motorcycle builds and having recently watched the Ford v Ferrari movie , I spotted this model and decided to give it a go .

For those who are interested , this car only won by default - the result should have seen Brit Ken Miles win , along with co-driver Denny Hulme , but Ford bosses wanted to rub salt into Ferrari's wounds by crossing the line 1,2 and 3 so asked Miles to slow down and in doing so by leading by such a small margin ( some 20/30 feet I believe ), his win was taken away from him by the fact he started further back than the second placed driver Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon....

The movie is great to watch with some good acting by Christian Bale and Matt Damon.

Never seen this make up close before , so no experience of them .

Not a very detailed kit , and not my preferred colour scheme from the period ( Gulf Oils Racing ) blue and orange is much more memorable , but it is a bit of history and the other models are of course available and may well be on my list for the future !

DSC06158.jpgDSC06149.JPGDSC06150.JPGDSC06151.JPGDSC06152.JPGDSC06153.JPG

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I have made a start , all pretty straight forward. The wheels should be gold , not sure why the box shows them in silver.

The seat belts were fiddly but look OK I think .

The real thing below .

005_1966_GT40.jpg

DSC06163.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I agree with John my all time favorite next to the Ferrari 250

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There's really only two cars that really 'float my boat' This is one of them. Looking forward to this build.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I've just noticed, the car seems to have four pedals ! Is the parking brake / hand brake, actually foot operated ? I've never seen the inside of a real GT40 so have no idea.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've just noticed, the car seems to have four pedals ! Is the parking brake / hand brake, actually foot operated ? I've never seen the inside of a real GT40 so have no idea.

I am not certain what it is either , I wouldn't have thought they would have another brake pedal in a race car , maybe an alternative clutch pedal for use by the other driver ?

I have just noticed my mistake in the race result explanation !
The Ken Miles car started in front of the Bruce McLaren car so had driven 8 metres less on the road
Miles was robbed in my view .....

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
More done today , I have gone with GoodYear tyres - there are alternative Firestone decals in the kit .
Another interesting part of the race story was that although Bruce McLaren was contracted to Firestone , these proved not as quick as the GoodYears that the other Fords were using so he changed to Goodyear during the race and was able to speed up again !
I am not really a racing nerd , just read some more about the race !

DSC06170.jpgDSC06175.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I sat in one in the sixties, but can't remember the pedals. I found a couple of photos on https://gelscoemotorsport.com/?page_id=111 that show a remanufactured pedal assembly, and I'd guess the one furthest left is just a footrest for the driver's clutch foot.
421.jpg419.jpg
Pete

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It
That's the bit I am most concerned about !!

I only workout of a kitchen and with rattle cans :sad:
It's sort of what puts me off building cars, that lovely shiny top coat. Good luck.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just about ready for the body work . Unsure whether to try to fit it to the chassis first , it is a very tight fit by the feel of it. Paint first and risk damage as I attempt to fit it up, or fit up and risk getting paint on the inside ?
Obviously I would mask the inside as best as possible ......

Is it best to prime the bodywork or just wash with detergent and dry carefully ?
Recommendations welcome !

DSC06195.jpgDSC06196.jpg

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Managed to get the body on OK and after removing the wheels again and masking up, got a coat of primer on.....

DSC06207.jpgDSC06208.jpgDSC06210.JPGDSC06211.jpgDSC06212.jpg