Fujimi Williams FW16 in progress

M

munkster

*Gulp* what am I setting myself up for here... Here's a very early stage pic of my progress. If it all goes quiet you'll know I've taken a hammer to it!!!

If anyone wants to make me really nervous you'll respond with "I'll be watching this one with interest" ha ha :smiling:

View attachment 33155

Trouble is, my inspiration is this build - I don't think I'll get even close: View topic - Williams FW16, Fujimi 1/20 | The Formula One Modeling Website

View attachment 37881

fw16_1.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Rob

Looking good and no I won't say "I'll be watching this one with interest" but I will keep having a look.:thumbs-up:

Vaughan

M

munkster

Front wing. SO very delicate. Managed to hamfistedly break one side apart after sticking (with superglue) so it's a bit rough I'm afraid. White wing element will go at the front once painted (separately!!). Think I could have planned this bit a lot better, slapped my wrist for my hastiness.

View attachment 33164

View attachment 37888

fw16_2.jpg

M

munkster

Engine sort of finished* - quite gloomy so yellow light doesn't look the best...

*well, exhausts need to go on - minor detail.

View attachment 37893

fw16_3.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks pretty good to me Rob!

Ian M

R

Richy C

Looks very sharp and clean Ron , keep the good work up I`m in on this one mate .

Richy

1275GT

Hi Rob, I'm just embarking on the Tamiya F189 Ferrari, and if my back-end comes out anywhere near as good as yours, I'll be very happy !!! Do you have a particular way of picking out the lettering on the cam covers, or do you just have a small brush and very steady hand !!

M

munkster

My own method for picking out the lettering on the cam covers is to use the supplied decals :-D

Thanks for kind words - I am *sure* I used to own the F189 kit as a teenager but university got in the way and "more important" pursuits took over from sedate relaxing model making and it never got built. My mum probably sold it at a car boot or some other such travesty ;)

Last edited:

1275GT

ahhhh, I see......... ;) Even so, I'm impressed, good luck with the rest of it !

Cheers, Neil

T

treyzx10r

Ron looks great so far,looking forward to more of this build!

M

munkster

Thanks all - not sure who this "Ron" character is you guys keep bigging up though...

cheers all the same

Rob ;)

R

Richy C

Sorry Rob , my fault mate the b and n are next to each other and when posting yesterday hit the wrong button , when I realised it was to late .

Richy

M

munkster

Bit the bullet and did a bit of the bodywork, Zero Paints went on a real treat and the blue looks gorgeous. Messed up one of the tyre decals (if you look closely!).

Still very nervous about this one, it could go either way; everyone keep those fingers crossed for me! :smiling:

View attachment 33348View attachment 33349View attachment 33350View attachment 33351

Awaiting gloss varnish and decals from the US (from Indycals) then I can really get going on it. Biggest worry at present is twofold: the brass bits for the seat belt buckles and then being able to sufficiently mask off the cockpit aperture for when I spray the main cockpit tub which is in two parts so you have to put the seat in first. Eeek!

View attachment 38044

View attachment 38045

View attachment 38046

View attachment 38047

fw16_9.jpg

fw16_10.jpg

fw16_11.jpg

fw16_12.jpg

M

munkster

This is a slow burner and no mistake!!! Painted and masked the cockpit (not the simplest job masking up the opening but think I've got away with it, will soon find out if my seat belts are still pristine!). Bit of blue paint got under the masking in some places (and on the rear wing endplates too, booo) much to my disappointment but will have to do some remedial work on that taking great care, the edge is pretty crisp which is nice but a decal ought to mask anything untoward there so I have a bit of leeway. Still, it's starting to LOOK like an FW16 now! I've got the Vallejo gloss varnish so that's the next thing I think.

View attachment 33557View attachment 33558View attachment 33559View attachment 33560View attachment 33561View attachment 33562View attachment 33563

View attachment 38234

View attachment 38235

View attachment 38236

View attachment 38237

View attachment 38238

View attachment 38239

View attachment 38240

fw16_18.jpg

fw16_19.jpg

fw16_20.jpg

fw16_21.jpg

fw16_22.jpg

fw16_23.jpg

fw16_24.jpg

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Seat belts done, all seemed to happen quite nicely.Masked the interior of the cockpit which will need to be black and there's a pic of the front wing which is by far the most disappointing part of the whole thing so far, so don't look at that for too long.

I said don't look at it!! :smiling:
Hi Rob,

It's the same as telling someone not to look down, you just have too...:smile1:

As for your build and the other one you showed, personally I think yours is looking tons better...:welldone:

Andy...

M

munkster

You really are too kind, and clearly addled (in the nicest possible sense :smiling5: ) - that one in my link is something I can only aspire to! I am enjoying this build but really think it'll be a long time before I build another F1 car...