Fujimi Williams FW16 in progress

M

munkster

Finally got to the point of putting some of the big bodywork decals on (though nothing like as big as those ones that Vajled put on his F-16!). Not perfect but looking good enough for me. Decals are a combination of the ones in the kit and tobacco ones from Indycals. There's a bit of cardboard under the cockpit that I've been using to shield the seat etc when spraying in case you wondered...

View attachment 34436

View attachment 38933

fw16_25.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This looks like a very interesting build with loads of detail. I've never done an F1 car but do like the look of them. So, how many parts has this one got ?

Colin M.........

M

munkster

Cheers guys. Colin I posted a (poorly executed) in-box series of photos a while back - on one of the photos you can see the sprue pics...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/attachments/automobile-pictures/27423d1303216714-fujimi-williams-fw16-san-marino-box-pics-img_0482.jpg

It looks like there's 70-80 parts in there judging by the sprue pics - it didn't look that much when I first started but I'm feeling the burn now!! :smiling:

Not sure I'll do another F1 car in a hurry, I am mainly doing this one because I foolishly returned to the hobby with a Tamiya Williams FW11 and realised it was far too hard for a total newbie. This one is hard enough but at least I've accumulated a few more skills to make it less of a disaster than the Tamiya one was...

(Link to the in-box photos here... http://www.scale-models.co.uk/automobile-pictures/12438-fujimi-williams-fw16-san-marino-box-pics.html)

M

munkster

"Getting there" (part 34!?)

If it wasn't for the bad memories it stirs up this F1 livery (of those with adverts anyway) would surely be one of the best loved of all time for me...

Some tarting up to do but generally v.happy with how they've gone on.

ps - pedants will spot that I have annoyingly (for me) neglected to leave a white gap between the gold and the blue on the bottom edge of the stripes around the nose and sides. A (documented) failing of the kit decals some say since the big decals on the sidepods have a white stripe to help you achieve this...

View attachment 39032

View attachment 39033

View attachment 39034

View attachment 39035

fw16_26.jpg

fw16_27.jpg

fw16_28.jpg

fw16_29.jpg

M

munkster

Sorry for the pic overload but it's the weekend and I'm making some progress... :smiling:

Quite pleased with the front wing now, all told, although up close the black is mingin' - oh well! Bit disappointed that the stripes show through the Rothmans logos on the cowling but can't be helped now...

View attachment 34552View attachment 34553View attachment 34554View attachment 34555View attachment 34556

View attachment 39043

View attachment 39044

View attachment 39045

View attachment 39046

View attachment 39047

fw16_30.jpg

fw16_31.jpg

fw16_32.jpg

fw16_33.jpg

fw16_34.jpg

M

munkster

So very close. Not quite finished yet but looks like a complete car now at least. Have learnt *a lot* on this build. Not least that you ought not be impatient and use superglue in the vicinity of Vallejo varnish before it is fully cured. Note inside the sidepod where the varnish has "bloomed" (think that's the term) - buggeh!!

Reasonably pleased with it - still have the thorny issue of yellow decals to put on the wheels - almost impossible to apply - have P4 W1 D0 L3 so far so not looking good, might have to paint them. The one I've sort of got right is at the back of the car so you can't see it. Wheels are not properly attached yet so they're a bit wonky. Seat and belts survived the masking process. Decals were good - tobacco decals from Indycals were good also. It will be a long time (if ever) before I attempt another F1 car that's for sure; too fiddly and the suspension arms are never fun. A good kit though, if you're into this subject matter I'd recommend it. Will take more phots when properly complete and in better (natural) light. Cheers for looking everyone!

View attachment 34855

View attachment 39333

fw16_35.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This really looks the business now rob, and ive got to agree- the rothmans scheme is just brilliant, almost as iconic as the JPS or gulf colours. looking forward to the finished pics , cheers tony

P

PeanuckleJive

Absolutely incredible.

One of my favourite F1 liveries, done superbly! amazing work, you can relax soon!

M

munkster

Aw, shucks, thanks Peanuckle! In the flesh you can see a few boo-boos, but looks alright in the photos!!

M

munkster

Posted a few more pics in a new thread in "Automobile Pictures" if anyone's interested. I'm calling this one "done" I think, even though I ought to be putting yellow rings on the wheels. I think life's too short to be honest so will wait for a (very) rainy day and might do them then!!

Link here if interested: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/automobile-pictures/13968-finished-fujimi-williams-fw16-1-20-ayrton-senna-imola.html#post106181