Gandalf and King Arthur: Two New Mookies Mini Busts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Richard Pearce has asked me to do the box art for his two latest Mookies Miniatures releases, a pair of mini busts (1/12) depicting Gandalf and King Artur:

100_8585.JPG100_8586.JPG

The Gandalf figure is very close to the character depicted by Ian McKellen in Peter Jackson's Tolkien films. The hat is optional, so he can be either painted as The Grey or The White:

100_8584.JPGOIP (3).jpgGandalfStaff6.jpg

As Gandalf the White didn't wear a hat, and as I'll need to paint it anyway, I'll do the whole bust as The Grey.

The King Artur figure is scvulpte as a Dark Age warrior, and, with the forked beard, bears a very close resemblance to the character depicted in one of my favourite books, Porius by John Cowper Powys, set in North Wales shortly after the Roman withdrawal from Britain:

OIP (4).jpg

I'll start with King Artur first, and leave Richard to fill you in on details of the sculptor, availability etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard Pearce has asked me to do the box art for his two latest Mookies Miniatures releases, a pair of mini busts (1/12) depicting Gandalf and King Artur:

View attachment 401587View attachment 401592

The Gandalf figure is very close to the character depicted by Ian McKellen in Peter Jackson's Tolkien films. The hat is optional, so he can be either painted as The Grey or The White:

View attachment 401593View attachment 401590View attachment 401589

As Gandalf the White didn't wear a hat, and as I'll need to paint it anyway, I'll do the whole bust as The Grey.

The King Artur figure is scvulpte as a Dark Age warrior, and, with the forked beard, bears a very close resemblance to the character depicted in one of my favourite books, Porius by John Cowper Powys, set in North Wales shortly after the Roman withdrawal from Britain.

I'll start with King Artur first, and leave Richard to fill you in on details of the sculptor, availability etc.

Morning Peter

These will be interesting. I've just started reading Lord of the Rings again for the first time in years. I used to read it once a year, in my teens and early 20s.

Do you get many commissions like this?

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
These should be fun. Not sure if it is the photo angle, but Gandalf’s hat looks strange. The brim seems a little small. Nice to see his beard is neatly trimmed though. Arthur is a fine looking chap. I’m sure you will work your usu magic on these.

D

Deleted member 6559

Andrew - I have done quite a few commissions, but to be honest I find the responsibilities of doing box art quite stressful, so limit the amount I do. I re-read Lord of the Rings a couple of years ago and must admit that I could see it's faults. The first book and a half are great, but after that Tolkien tends to get carried away into Anglo-Saxon epic mode - 'The Tale grew in the telling.'' I will read it again though.

Tim - This isn't supposed to be a literal depiction of the film character, so the hat is fine. As you say, should be fun.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
Sorry, my error, I misread your post.....don’t blame you for doing Gandalf the grey though, much easier colour to work with than the white iteration....
Dont get stressed about these. Your recent work has been amongst your best, so you are approaching these from a high point of creativity....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Oooooh! They look nice. Some cracking sculpts from Richard. Really looking forward to see you work your magic on these. Good luck sir!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Beautiful sculpts from Richard. I agree with Tim regarding your recent work, you do seem to be on a roll of superbness even by your high standards.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Tim - No problem. And you're right - grey will be much easier then white. The trouble with producing work that people approve of is trying to maintain the same standard.

Neil - Thanks for your support.

Steve - Some great work indeed from the Mookies studio, Clacton's finest.

Jim - I'll do my best with these Jim.

So, Mr Arthur King's head:

100_8596.JPG

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice work Pierre.Arfurs head looks super doopah mate.Im always pleased what you do for my little company.If i did the box art then they would goose me out of town matey.Steve Leadley sold me the masters for these and im hoping to add to range sometime if Mojo returns next year.
Im away at a caravan at Felixstowe for weekend,Strong winds making the caravan rock around,Should have brought a model with me.
Carry on Carruthers.
Ricardo.

D

Deleted member 6559

Glad he's measuring up Richard. Brave man to risk the caravan in this wind - hope you don't end up in the North Sea - bit cold this time of year.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another super metalwork finish with the crown/helmet, nice sculpts too.

Certainly a change of pace with the subjects and colour palette too.

Having textured and detailed plinths is a nice touch too

Looks like some decent light today for painting

Have a good day

Regards

Steve H

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Top of the Morn Mr. Day,

Arthur is starting out superbly Sir. I really love how you have painted his beard and hair. It looks so natural too. Your metal work is always a fine point on such figures!!!

Don't worry, I hope think Richard knows how to swim..........

Prost
Allen

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Top of the Morn Mr. Day,

Arthur is starting out superbly Sir. I really love how you have painted his beard and hair. It looks so natural too. Your metal work is always a fine point on such figures!!!

Don't worry, I hope think Richard knows how to swim..........

Prost
Allen
Howdy dude.
Sure was a stormy night last night.Wallowing in the bath in the caravan with it rocking in wind was somewhat surreal,Visions of roof blowing off with me laying there sudded up and red faced lol.Plus i cant swim argggggghhh.
Prost.
Rich

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Glad you like him so far. Pretty challenging at this relatively small scale As it happens, the light id b****y awful here in the South East - still suffering the tail end of the storm.

Allen - Thanks for the encouraging words. I need them!

Richard - Glad you woke up still on dry land. We were a bit wetter here with a conservatory that leaks in severe weather.

Mr Arthur King, a mini bust:

100_8606.JPG

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ooo what a feast for my eyes Pierre.Hes spot on Mon ami.Helen says hes lovely and very Saxon she says.Super doopah as always mate.
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good as always.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Peter. Nice colour scheme as well, might steal that one ;)