Gardening questions - odd white substance in underside of leaves

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

Not my usual area of questioning but my wife (she does most of the gardening) noticed a funny whiteish-yellow substance on the underside of leaves and on the stem of a small variegated leafed shrub we have,

We've done the usual internet research but haven't been able to work it out. It even has my mum stumped and she has decades of gardening experience. We think we've ruled out mildew because it has a very subtle grainy texture, not flour like which is apparently how mildew manifests itself. We also can't see any moving bugs or creepy crawlies of any sort.

In most cases it's spread in a fine coat over the backs of the leaves and is yellower in colour - I though it might be eggs but I don't think so. In other places it's in whiter fluffier clumps.

Any help would be gratefully received.

ATB

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Think it might be white fly. The cotton wool like bits are where the eggs are, the little yellow-brown bits.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mealybugs...my wife's hated enemy. She goes into a fit and washes the leaves while emptying a whole can of insecticide. :smiling2: Possibly white flies.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Andrew, yes white fly and by the looks of it that white cotton wool is egg area. This is the best thing. Easily cleared up , if your prepared to spray under each leaf. Also worth dosing the soil around the shrub, you could spray any plants near as well .

1657996952599.png1657997248147.png1657997266293.png

Attachments

• 1657997208292.png
    1657997208292.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 1

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I wouldn't say whitefly, that's woolly aphid. The Provado suggested by John will get rid of them though.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
One for John I think, but it looks like a fungal infection to me…..
Think it might be white fly. The cotton wool like bits are where the eggs are, the little yellow-brown bits.
I'd say white fly too
Right clicked on one of your images and got edge to do a web image search

It too suggest white fly/mealybugs
I dunno Andrew, could be Triffids............I wouldn't go to sleep tonight Buddy......................
Mealybugs...my wife's hated enemy. She goes into a fit and washes the leaves while emptying a whole can of insecticide. :smiling2: Possibly white flies.

Cheers,
Richard
Just scrape them into a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste and wash down with a fine Chianti.........:relieved:
Cheers
Mike
Hi Andrew, yes white fly and by the looks of it that white cotton wool is egg area. This is the best thing. Easily cleared up , if your prepared to spray under each leaf. Also worth dosing the soil around the shrub, you could spray any plants near as well .

View attachment 458383View attachment 458385View attachment 458386
I wouldn't say whitefly, that's woolly aphid. The Provado suggested by John will get rid of them though.
Pete
A woolly aphid. Sounds quite a cute little critter. I kinda imagine a cross between a squirrel and koala bear :smiling:
Yes definitely woolly aphid.
Spot on Mark :smiling: :thumb2:

Thanks all to the comments.....both sensible and humorous, they did make me laugh!!

It turns out we may have a Moderator in the making in my wife. I showed her the comments and having laughed she then said "Just answer the question" i.e. stick to the point!

Seriously though thanks for the info.

ATB

Andrew

Last edited: