Geoff’s 1/72 Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.I

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello Chaps,

This is my entry to the group build :smiling2:

IMG_3279.jpeg

I’ve built the Mk.IIc version from Arma Hobby before and found it went together nicely with lots of detail too so am looking forward to this one.

This is the original release, which was marketed as an “expert set” which basically means it has a small photo etch fret and paint masks included.

Here are the pictures

IMG_3283.jpeg
Rear of the box.
IMG_3284.jpeg
IMG_3285.jpeg
Instructions.
IMG_3286.jpeg
X2 plastic frames.
IMG_3287.jpeg
Very nice clear parts.
IMG_3288.jpeg
Extra goodies.
IMG_3281.jpeg
Nice decal sheet.

I intend to build the South African tropical version as highlighted above.

Looking forward to the start now.

Thanks for looking

Geoff.

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpeg
    IMG_3286.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3283.jpeg
    IMG_3283.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely kit geoff , I’ve got the Arma hobby mk1 trop for this GB but in the standard boxing , ie. no PE or masks . Looking forward to the build , cheers tony

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Cheers Ian, Andy :thumb2:

Me too Tony, looking at how detailed it is I don’t think it really needs the photo etch extras.

Geoff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers Ian, Andy :thumb2:

Me too Tony, looking at how detailed it is I don’t think it really needs the photo etch extras.

Geoff.
I went and got an Eduard coloured PE set for the arma mkIIc , if only for the seat belts and instrument panel

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I quite like the instrument panel/decal in the kit but it definitely needs seat belts.
I used the paint mask template when I built a Mk.IIc version and they worked well.

Geoff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I quite like the instrument panel/decal in the kit but it definitely needs seat belts.
I used the paint mask template when I built a Mk.IIc version and they worked well.

Geoff.
Yes and canopy masks are ALWAYS a welcome inclusion!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Cheers Ian, glad to have you along Lee :smiling:

Well we’re up and if not running at least having a gentle stroll

The instructions for a change would have you start with the undercarriage bay but just to be contrary I’ve started with the cockpit.

Main reason for this was to get most of the photo-etch detail done.

Lots of tiny parts involved, I’ve posted the following picture to give an idea of how tiny :fearful:IMG_3294.jpeg

This also involved some very light surgery removing some of the plastic cockpit detail.
IMG_3295.jpeg
But after a bit of faffing and eye strain the cockpit is ready for paint.
IMG_3296.jpeg

So I will do the undercarriage parts next then it’s off to the spay booth :thumb2:

Thanks for looking.

Geoff.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks a nice kit. They certainly give you a few extras to test your patience. Masking for the canopy is more than welcome.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Cockpit parts all painted now. I used Vallejo Metal Color Aluminium and AK Real Colours RAF Cockpit Grey/Green with a bit of light weathering done with brown Tamiya Panel Line wash .

IMG_3300.jpeg
IMG_3301.jpeg

I decided to use the kit instrument panel and decals rather than the pe version. It’s detailed enough for me and I’ve heard the pe one can cause some fit issues.
IMG_3302.jpeg
To be quite honest hardly any of the cockpit will be visible once it’s all buttoned up :confused:

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Geoff!! I have one of these in the stash...or similar....but in the form of an Eduard Profipack Redbox!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Thank you Andrew, Lee and Andy :thumb2:

I managed a bit more progress today.

i struggled to get the cockpit crammed in and it all buttoned up with minimal gaps.

I had to cheat in the end and leave this bit out :confused:

IMG_3306.jpeg

It seemed too wide and the two fuselage halves would not close up properly with it in place. I didn’t like leaving it out but in all honesty it’s hardly visible anyway at this scale.

Despite leaving this part out it was still a struggle to get it together without any gaps etc.

So here it is all buttoned up and ready for paint with all the ancillary parts also removed and cleaned up.

IMG_3304.jpeg
IMG_3305.jpeg

I’m not sure if it’s me but I’ve really struggled with this so far in terms of fit. It’s looking ok now but it’s been a bit of a struggle. I have built a Hurricane Mk.II from Arma and it was excellent as far as I can recall.

Never mind onwards and upwards another update soon :thumb2:

Geoff.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress geoff , funny you should mention the challenging cockpit fitb, I’m st the same stage with mine and found the same problems . I had to reduce the bulkhead behind the seat in width and the same with the triangular bracing . I managed to get a decent fit but if I hadnt dry fitted, tested and sorted it there would have been an almighty gap on the seams .

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Nice progress geoff , funny you should mention the challenging cockpit fitb, I’m st the same stage with mine and found the same problems . I had to reduce the bulkhead behind the seat in width and the same with the triangular bracing . I managed to get a decent fit but if I hadnt dry fitted, tested and sorted it there would have been an almighty gap on the seams .

Well done getting yours sorted Tony :thumb2:

At least I know that it’s a problem with the kit and not something I did wrong.
It puzzled me really as like I said I have built Arma’s Mk.II version and it went together ok :thinking:

Geoff.