German Vehicle

Wobbly Woofer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi all, Quick question, if I may. I'm currentlly building a 20mm FLAKVIERLING 38, hoping to use it in an upcoming Dio. Daft question I know, but anyone have any ideas on what vehicle would have been used to tow it ...1940-41. All the best WobblyWoofer.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Kettengrad on up. Haven't seen a kubelwagon pull one. May be due to poor hitch.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Seen a lot of 'em behind the Krupp Protze as well as the SdKfz.11 tow tractor. But as Paul said, just about anything.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I would say any of the Wehrmacht trucks would pull it, but a Flakvierling is a different beast to a single barrel mount. You would need to carry a lot more ammo for the 4-barreled mount, so a larger vehicle, like a half-track, or a truck would be more likely ( and carry the crew as well ).
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a KStN (Kriegsstärkenachweisung) for any Flakvierling unit, as that would have given an answer to what was officially supposed to tow it.

If you’re going for a half-track, then anything over a 3-tonner (Sd.Kfz. 11) would be overkill, though: a 2-cm-Flakvierling 38 weighed about 1.5 tonnes (Ian's 400 kg is for the 2-cm-Flak 38, the single-barrel version), so towing it with something with far greater capacity would probably only be done if nothing else was available, and the vehicle didn’t have something more important to pull. Other than that consideration, especially if you’re going for a weapon later in the war, almost anything would go if it’s got the capacity — any of the 1.5- or 3-ton lorries would be good choices, I would say.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Official capy. was 450kg for the ketten, but was exceeded routinely.
ekibqlpl2be71.png

5.2 tonnes, assuming it’s empty :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Was rethinking 40-41 dates, maybe besides 1.5 & 3 ton trucks/halftracks, one of the heavy cars from that period.

Last edited: