Gern's D-day

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would of thought that in 1/72 the sand would be best with just paint. If its a stony beach coarse sand would be good pebbles.

The A frames would also tip a landing craft if they ran up them. I read that some pointed out to sea, the idea being that the boat would slam into the end and get ripped open.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You could be right about just using paint Ian. I'll have a play around with all the options and pick the one I like best.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm not planning anything that ambitious Joe! Just the figures plus two or three beach defences.

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I'm not planning anything that ambitious Joe! Just the figures plus two or three beach defences.Gern
Spoil-sport Dave...thought you might have done at least a full room full with bunkers, landing craft, DD tanks, the whole lot, plus smoke and sound effects. :D

Si:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Yeah, I was looking forward to several hundred Czech Hedgehogs :P

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yep, hedgehog barriers, also slightly off shore Belgium gates-tetrahedron concrete structures topped with mines. On the beach don't forget to add shell holes from the rockets that landed to clear the obstacles, most fell short and many soldiers walked into them while getting off the landing craft and drowned. You also could add a few wooden posts, sticking at an angle pointing towards the land-like an angled letter A.Si:smiling3:
\ said:
Spoil-sport Dave...thought you might have done at least a full room full with bunkers, landing craft, DD tanks, the whole lot, plus smoke and sound effects. :D Si:smiling3:
don't forget the hawker typhoons giving air support and a battleship fireing on the coastal bunkers :D

C

CDW

The finer particles in the reptile sand are like dust, for 72nd scale you just need to put it through a flour sieve... You want just a small amount sending through so you can compare it to your other options before going ahead?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
The finer particles in the reptile sand are like dust, for 72nd scale you just need to put it through a flour sieve... You want just a small amount sending through so you can compare it to your other options before going ahead?
It's not supposed to start 'til January! I suppose it'll be OK to practise techniques on some scrap though to see how things go. Give me a day or so Col and I'll get back to you.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Come on folks! Gimme a break. Just 'cos I got a bit carried away with my Bug build!

Gern

PS Anyone know where I can get a 1/72 battleship - real cheap?

M

mobear

watch that colin as he may send you the used stuff lol,apart from that i`m looking forward too watching all the builds

mobear

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
PS Anyone know where I can get a 1/72 battleship - real cheap?
Scratch build it...the whole lot shouldn't take you more than year or so, if you start Jan 1st and do nothing else for the rest of the year. :D

Si:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
View attachment 75100

View attachment 75101

View attachment 75102

View attachment 75103

I know you won't be into exactitudes what the colour of your sand will be...neither would I!....But I thought you might like to use these as a reference :-

I took them whilst on a holiday last May when travelling the Invasion area. Although only a few miles apart, see the difference in sand colours?

Left to right.

Omaha Beach.........American

Gold " ..........British....Arromanches

Nr. Utah " ........American

The concrete obsticle is at Juno, the Canadian beach. About head height.

Ron

Normandy  France May 2013 493.jpg

Normandy  France May 2013 282.jpg

Normandy  France May 2013 674.jpg

Normandy  France May 2013 271.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Lol I built that for a dio ages ago I just took it off to get a better pic for Dave :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Still waiting for paints for my other build, so started on this one.

I spent all day yesterday and last night cleaning up the seams on the figures. How I wish they'd make these figures in hard plastic like Valiant do! It'd make life so much easier. I appreciate that many of these figures are used in war gaming so need to be a bit tougher, but it's still a PITA to clean them up and paint them. I'm trying Col's (CDW) trick of roughing up the surface by shaking in a container with some bird grit. We'll see how it goes.

I also made a couple of prototypes for the beach defences. I think I got the sizes about right, just got to build a few more (and get them a little straighter!).

I'll have some rocks/dunes rather than use the pre-moulded stuff supplied in the kit. The plan is to have rocks at each end with a gap protected by barbed wire. The first wave of troops have reached the dunes and are about to blow the wire. The second wave is just starting to arrive.

Something like this:

View attachment 75607

Gern

IMGP1083.JPG

First Name
Richard
Nice, Like the setup. Scale is 1/72 right?

Cheers Richi

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a good size base. I'm sure that once you get going, you'll be able to add a few bits and bobs- A bit of water, a landing craft and a tank.... lol

Ian M