Gloss/Laquers over metallic colours?

First Name
Adrian
Hi all,

Anyone able to advise me the best gloss or laquer to put over metallic paints, I'm currently working on a model that has gold and silver and want to protect it, I tried a quick test with the Humbrol Spray can gloss but it turned the silver to a duller dark metal.

Would the Vallejo gloss be a good safe bet to use?

Adrian

First Name
Andy
With the cars and trucks I always use the Hycote Clear Lacquer, works great and is easy to use...: -

HYCOTE CLEAR LACQUER SPRAY PAINT - 400ml | eBay

Hope that helps...

Andy...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Alclad Aqua coat. Its formulated to use over Alclad metal finishes, and as the name implies is water based so should be pretty safe.

I have not used that one but their other clear coats are very good and do not affect the finish.

Vallejo's varnishes should also be OK.

Ian M

First Name
Andy
When I did the Mitsubishi Evo I used the Reg plates and the Make and model badges, I used the Microscale Micro Set and Micro Sol to fix them and didn't have any problems...

First Name
Adrian
Well a few days ago I got the Alclad Aqua Gloss from the shop ( great fast delivery again ) and tried it out. Well it covered the gold paint nicely but the Hotmetal red seemed to react and tarnished to an almost burnt looking colour. I didn't water it down and sprayed fine mist coats as per the instructions at 15 psi. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Adrian