Gloster Meteor F1, Tamiya 1/48

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Shaunfletcher, it's a nice looking Meteor, not too much wrong with it from those pics. We all have little things we know aren't right, but often they are not obvious to outside observers. Good work mate.

S

shaunfletcher

Thanks, nice to hear it doesnt look too bad.

I think my real issue is with the decals, which just look crap (will never use decals again if I can help it, masks and spray for me I think). That and the metallic I used on the undercarriage which looks pretty nasty. Oh and the paintjob/finish on the canopy.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice looking model Shaun. Looks very clean and tidy from where Im sat

K

Keith9657

There's nothing obvious staring back at me either, Shaun. It looks good from where I'm sitting. I've been thinking about this kit myself.

Keith

S

shaunfletcher

The kit is very nice on the whole. a few fit issues and the interior I think could be much better, if doing again I would perhaps replace it all. I'm not totally up to date with what to expect nowadays though!

I also have the v1 flying bomb and trailer kit that came with it to build sometime. I was thinking of scratching a launch ramp, could be fun.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I reckon you're being a bit harsh on yourself Shaun. That looks pretty good to me! As the builder though, you know all the niggly bits you could have done better - but we all have them!

Gern

S

shaunfletcher

Well I took care not to take too close a picture, Im not daft ;)

T

tecdes

Nice model Shaun after 25 years that is success.

Should not give up on decals as they on above average turn out OK. You must just be unlucky this time.

Nice aircraft. Being a boy in that era the meteor jet was a boy's dream & I saw it in the air some noise as it whistled through the air.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Hi Shaun, I would be happy if that were my first attempt after 25 Years, believe me mine was a lot worse. Some day I plan to do the Meteor and Vampire; I remember in the 1940's and 50's when our local Airport - Dyce was an RAF base, and I would see the Meteors and Vampires on a Sunday messing about in the sky near our home. Look forward to seeing more of your Models. Cheeers Derek

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like the rest have said Shaun looks good at his end a great job after such a long layoff don't beat yourself up too much

S

shaunfletcher

Thanks so much for the kind words guys.

My next model once I finish my bison spg is a tamiya storch.. looks like a really cracking kit so should be enjoyable.

A

andygh

The Meteor is a gorgeous looking aircraft and you've made a fantastic job of it as far as I can see

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi shaun , youre way too harsh on yourself , it looks great. The build looks fine to me , the only thing i can spot is the missing sky coloured band round the rear fuselage , an easy fix . I cant see anything wrong with the decals either, i'd be well happy with a build like that , cheers tony

S

shaunfletcher

I knew someone would notice that stripe being missing ;) the decal looked awful so I took it off. I should get around to masking and spraying it on, it should be easy to do.

I've just cut the wooden board for a 250mm square base for this, which will represent a concrete parking area. should lift it a bit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'll be honest it's not a subject I would choose to build, but your model looks great - nice work.

Colin M..

S

shaunfletcher

I have been having a hard time with the base. Routed out the middle for the inset 'concrete', and it promptly warped. was about ready to throw it when I though ah.. and routed the underside out also and bingo, sprung back flat.

I then tried making an inset out of plaster.. took forever to dry, cracked and shrunk.. horrible. So I started again with airdry clay, and filled/rolled the inset with it, looked pretty good. Then realised I forgot to get any sand to roll into the surface. another panic!. then a flash of inspiration.. I have old coarse sandpaper in belts from a sander. I hand rolled these over and over across the clay and have got what looks like a much more real concrete paving feel than sand would give. just scribed the panel lines on and it is drying out. tomorrow will get some paint on it.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great result Shaun, the base completes the setting well with the concrete pads. Well done.