Good shepherd

A

adzam

Well about time we went back to modelling :smiling3:

What we have here is a purchase from ebay, A large scale fishing boat. Not something i would normally undertake and complete in a short time but it helped in a minor recent illness.

Originally the model had been nicely made with some nice handmade brass detailing, but over the years ( i dont know how many !) bits and bobs had been added, broken off , removed etc etc as well as the usual paint yellowing and brittle glue syndrome.

On arrival home she was stripped down to the deck , which was then sanded right back to bare wood, it had two coats of wood stain, a mahogony stain but i stopped adding stain when there was a nice patina on the deck, rather than just gettiing an even colour accross the whole deck.

Repairs where made to the forward mast section, reinforcing,paint and rigging. the inner hull colour was changed to white from a mustard colour ( very 70`s) as was the cargo area . sections where reglued and strengthened underneath. working models do tend to have a bit of a hard life , dropped , knocked and general accidents so some strengthening was done to give the structure some rigidity.

Now teh main work was the wheel house, originally there was a flat section directly aft of teh wheel house with some ventilators and other bits and bobs stuck too it, i wasn`t really too happy with this look. So i stripped it down and made new sides and extended the roof right back to give the box look, a new mast was procured and fitted with associated rigging, radar deflector was made from some scrap plasticard. painted and detailing added around the wheel house area.

In the hull there was a MFA marlin motor, ill fitted with two small self tappers,This was removed a new base plate fitted and re-aligned with a new universal joint.The propellor was removed ( a 30 mm item) and swapped for a 50 mm four blade raboesch prop. at the same time a new rudder was made up by my good friend Alan B as the original item was ill fitting, ( about 30 mm to short !!)

a fresh rc install with new reciever electronize ESC and new servo. now running 12v there`s plenty of power and with a 7ah battery at least 2 hours run time, in fact i`ve yet to flatten the battery after two outings!

As much was salvaged as possible from the original model, but new fittings where found in junk boxes, made and purchased as required. the fittings purchased where...

fish boxes,radar unit, tyres, cleats.

the floats are made from orange bouncy balls bought from a novelty shop.

All in all it doesnt sound like very much work, well there was hours and hours spent on it, i even turned my hand to sign writing the name on the stern after many attempts on scrap paper, also the registration boards where hand done, more practise required i think , but i`m happy with the look.

All in all a fictional model ,maybe not completely finished, but are models ever finished ? Aprox 36 inches long with a beam of aprox 12 inches she`s a big boat, and thanx to the large rudder Very manouverable. weighs in at about 12-15 kilos with batteries and i reckon scale is about 1/18 ish .

Anyway i`ve enjoyed restoring her and will enjoy sailing her this season coming.

Adz

p.s many thanx to NO.6 for the pics.

fishboatreaize-2.jpg

My thanks Must go to No.6 for this pic, he put himself ( and his camera) at very great risk of a dunking, picture was taken with the camera aprox 4 inches of teh water while he was balancing on a rock on his side !

resized-fish-boat.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Adz,what a great looking model ! I can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into her rebuild,the deck does look realistic,a new lease of life for her just like the real ones,sometimes you can get more satisfaction from rebuilding a wreck than from making one from new,and then there is the time factor.

Very well done.

B

Bunkerbarge

Adz,

A superb job and just my sort of thing. A lot of people turn thier nose up at people who don't build thier own but it's horses for courses as always. If I didn't buy a couple of boats from Ebay to "Do up" I wouldn't have been on the water for the last two years and I enjoy sailing them as much as making them.

I am currently renovating a boat that I got from Ebay six months ago and I am going through a very similar process to the one you have just done. I don't feel the need to start from scratch with every project and I am quite happy to take on someone elses basic structure and make it my own. I have just made a new motor mount today as the original was not aligned and was held by an elastic band on a curved bed of filler! It now has a wooden mount with three BA screws to keep it in place. Just as much satisfaction at the end of the day without all the time consuming hull building.

You really have done a lovely job there and I am certain that she will give many hours of enjoyment this coming season.

A

ajg141

Adz

That waterline pic of No 6's is brilliant. Could easily be the real thing. You've done a great job there with the re-build.

A

adzam

Thanx for the comments guys.

broadside.jpg

Another one of No.6`s pics while lying at a precarious angle.

B

Bunkerbarge

I have tried a few waterline shots in the past but none have come out as well as your last one. A superb model and a stunning picture, the out of focus background works perfectly.

I'll stick a couple of my poor attempts on this.

View attachment 13413

View attachment 13414

15-08-04-38WiltonParkCossack109.jpg

17-10-05-03WittonParkBadger34.jpg

A

adzam

BB it`s not easy , the second one is very acceptable, however i cannot claim the credit for the pics, i was too busy moving the boat as the light was dropping. we must of taken aprox 130 pics that day( thank goodness for digital) with various lense`s, angles and apertures, the most awkward part is getting the horizon right. however the D70 camera No.6 uses has a grid reference in the viewfinder which aids this.

another idea, which ajg has used to good stead is a camera based in a model boat and operated by servo, but i`ll let him explain that one ;)