Got a few 'other' interests, from watches to airguns

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice guns. I used to have quite a few PCP's but ended up selling all but one to fund other pew pews when I got my firearms licence.

The one I kept is a Weihrauch HW100. :smiling3:
I used to have one of them, a weirauch 20. Had to sell it when I moved to Denmark. It was 'tuned up' a bit and I would need a permit to keep it as it was to powerful to be classed as an ordinary air rifle.
Couldn't be chuffed at the time. But miss it now! Bloody pidgeons and hares just love my garden!
Mind you the last hare I saw in the garden was as big as a spaniel, so might need something a big more powerful lol.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It was 'tuned up' a bit and I would need a permit to keep it as it was to powerful to be classed as an ordinary air rifle.

Anything over 12ft/lbs in the UK is classed as a Firearm and therefore needs a FAC. So fitting a .177 strut to a .22 generally placed it over the legal limit.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll stick to a brick then Alan:smiling3:
Anything over 12ft/lbs in the UK is classed as a Firearm and therefore needs a FAC. So fitting a .177 strut to a .22 generally placed it over the legal limit.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
The springer your original? As that's usually the way - only reason I hit some targets is the fact that I've got huge scopes on the guns:tongue-out3:
I think there is something off with the sight. Zero it in fine, but then turn it on a rat... Switched to the the .17 and now four rats down since October.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
I think there is something off with the sight. Zero it in fine, but then turn it on a rat... Switched to the the .17 and now four rats down since October.
Could be the distance - if your scope isn't zeroed for the distance of said rat - then the pellet will either go above or below said rat (especially with a .22, as they have a more pronounced trajectory - fairly lucky that both the bird feeders are 12 yards from the nearest cover - any rats that try feeding from them.........)

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
As I'm off to get my first dose of the covid19 vaccine, dug out the 'Stop Covid' watch
IMG_20210303_132634311.jpg

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Second dose today, so a good reason to bring it out again (first time it's been worn since the first jab above) :thumb2: ;) :smiling5:
IMG_20210519_075655060.jpg
IMG_20210519_081606796~2.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You need paperwork to shoot a rabbit? Little bit different in this neck of the woods.........no paper required for anything smaller than a Deer. That means anything is fair game if it's bothering your garden, livestock or you personally..........oh, and it doesn't matter what caliber you choose. Mine range from .177 to a .577/500 Rigby's Best. Don't need a license and I carry concealed when I deem it might be necessary.

Rick H.

ps. I shoot in my backyard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
You need paperwork to shoot a rabbit? Little bit different in this neck of the woods.........no paper required for anything smaller than a Deer. That means anything is fair game if it's bothering your garden, livestock or you personally..........oh, and it doesn't matter what caliber you choose. Mine range from .177 to a .577/500 Rigby's Best. Don't need a license and I carry concealed when I deem it might be necessary.

Rick H.

ps. I shoot in my backyard
Sounds like you can have fun Rick.
Don't really need paperwork, just as it's on somebody else's land and if some busybody calls the police I've got a bit of paper to say that I'm allowed to shoot there - saves possibly waiting at the wrong end of a glock for them to contact the land owner.
Also shoot in the backyard :thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yep, always good to carry a permission slip in case somebody calls the plod. I used to have a couple of small permissions for air rifle hunting, but gave them up in favour of target shooting when I got my FAC.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Permission slips and imho some sort of insurance (BASC) is always something to carry with you.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Permission slips and imho some sort of insurance (BASC) is always something to carry with you.
Yes - whole family is insured through c3, as it's not just a shooting insurance, but covers a whole range of 'country' activities

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good to know you are not too impeded in pursuing the shooting sports. When I go Prairie Dog or Gopher shooting I check with the owners of the land I will be hunting on. Around here they are more than happy to let you on their land as it keeps the populations down and their livestock end up with less broken legs etc. from stepping in burrow holes. Rick at Kitsons 3.JPGRick at Kitsons 4.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Good to know you are not too impeded in pursuing the shooting sports.

Unfortunately we are to some degree thanks to two major shootings. One shooting banned automatic rifles and the other banned handguns. So those of us with half a braincell now cannot enjoy our sport as much as we used to. And to add insult to injury. Up here in Scotland those in power at present have kindly introduced a licence for airguns now!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My weapon of choice for this outing was a Ruger #1 chambered for .22 Hornet which was rechambered for the Kilborne improved or .22 K Hornet.......an extra fifty yards of accurate shooting. Rick H.
Sorry to hear about the banning of perfectly useful tools. Our Federal Government would love to do this also but have that silly piece of paper in the way of it and we also have what is called "States" rights which provides it own constitution to keep the Feds at bay. Also nice to have a Governor That told the feds to go pound salt. Rick H.

Last edited:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Unfortunately we are to some degree thanks to two major shootings. One shooting banned automatic rifles and the other banned handguns. So those of us with half a braincell now cannot enjoy our sport as much as we used to. And to add insult to injury. Up here in Scotland those in power at present have kindly introduced a licence for airguns now!
Yes, and I can remember when you could keep a shotgun handy by the back door to take care of pests raiding the veggie plot, rather than having to have it locked away from prying eyes in a special cabinet and the cartridges in another