Grain of Rice/Wheat Bulbs

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

Need some help please. I've got a build coming up which I want to install a single bulb in to light the interior. What I would like to do is power this from a battery rather than mains with a transformer, but I'm struggling to find much info on the subject.

As far as I can see, I can get a 1.5v grain of rice bulb which I can run off AA batteries, however I'm not sure if this will put out enought light (it's to light the inside of a turret). Alternatively, I was thinking of a 12v grain of wheat bulb, and run it off a 9v battery.

As I know nothing about this kind of thing I thought I should ask for some advice first, so over to you guys. :smiling3:

Cheers,

B

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i once lit a klingon battle cruiser using a set of 12 led xmas lights powered by 2 AA batteries that i got for a quid in the post crimbo sales lol.........was easy to use and came with the battery box, and they gave out a lot of light

look forward to seeing your project when you do it

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Beowulf just beat me to it

LED is the way to go these days - high light output, no heat problems, low power and last for ages

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers guys. The problem I foresee with LED is just the size of the bulb, do they come in the sub 2mm range?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Certainly — just search for “2 mm LED” (or 1.5 mm, or whatever) and you should find plenty. Remember that you may need to add a resistor to the circuit to make sure the LED doesn’t get damaged. This site seems to explain the basics fairly well.

Reactions: JR

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Just looked on ebay and there are 1.5mm ones
Another thing that you can do is use fibre optics if you are limited with space - embed fibre(s) in the model and light from remote location

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Excellent, cheers guys, that gives me plenty to go on. :smiling3: