"Grandad, did you really drive a railway engine?" Dapol OO/HO Class 9F 2-10-0 Loco.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry folks, I couldn't resist more nonsense background dribblings, so if you'd sooner, please go straight to the pickies. Thanks.

My grand children asked me a while back if I drove a real railway engine.
" Yes, I drove a fair few locos, but my favourite was my engine 92250. she was alive and had a soul"

I started to drift back in time

My good mate and regular fireman was Tony 'Shovel' Lovell and we were inseparable. In the mid.1960's Dr. 'Axeman' Beechings closed thousands of miles of track. Myself, Tony and many more rail men were made redundant. Tony and I went our separate ways, but still swapped Christmas cards - never missing a year.

Then one day out of the blue, I received a letter addressed to 'The Engine Driver'. With some trepidation, I opened it. My fears were justified. My fireman buddy had passed away.

The letter went on "Dad died peacefully and he had made a special request to us. Shortly, you will receive a parcel. In it, our dad has written instructions for you to follow. It would please him and us if you could oblige. He always talked about you and the old days........" I pocketed the letter.

Sure enough the parcel arrived. I opened it and read Tony's note. I had a job to do.....

Since my retirement, I've had an interest in tracing the whereabouts of 'retired' Locomotives, and kept a special eye out for 'Our Engine' 92250, so I knew where she could still be found.
After a long journey, I arrived at Woodham Brothers scrapyard in South Wales, and walked through the lines of rusting locos. I found our loco quietly sitting in a corner of the yard.

"Hello, old girl, it's been a long time."
A voice shouted at me.

"Oy, boy'o, what are you doing by that engine?"- I explained.

"Oh, right. O.K. when you're done come over to the shed and have a brew."

I climbed the steps on to the footplate and sat down on the remains of the driver's seat. I looked over to the other seat and Tony and I were back together again.

There he was, loading the firebox with ready lit coals and adding a bit of fresh coal, then a bit more. Then we simply sat and listened as our baby came to life. First a crackle as her heart expanded with the heat from the now red hot coals in the firebox. Then came a quiet hissing as the water in the boiler started to produce steam. Then finally, Tony would look at the dials and shout "Steam up, boss!"
I'd reach for the big brass lever and pull, she would start to move......

"You finished up there yet? Tea's ready!" called a voice from the shed.
The spell was broken. I still had one more thing to do. I reached for the parcel Tony's family had entrusted me with. I opened it......

Wrapped up inside was the only thing Tony wanted after his retirement. His fireman's shovel! The letter I received after his death informed me he always cleaned it after using it at home. His family were convinced he took it to bed with him.

Unwrapping the shovel, I whispered a silent prayer, opened the firebox doors and threw 'Shovel's shovel into the firebox as far as my arthritic hands would allow. This had been his last request.

I found it hard to see the footplate steps as I descended, it must have been the sun's glare. Strange too, I had a wet shirt front.

I headed for the shed and a much needed brew........

Before I left, I took some photos of our loco. I knew in my heart I would probably never see 92250 again.
..............................................................................................................................................

Here are the rather too many pictures....
P1280335.JPG

P1280331.JPG

P1280336.JPG

P1280342.JPG

P1280344.JPG

P1280327.JPG

P1280248.JPG

P1280157.JPG

P1280307.JPG

P1280308.JPG

P1280235.JPG

P1280114.JPG

P1280276.JPG

P1280333.JPG

P1280341 (2).JPG

P1280132 (2).JPG

P1280148 (2).JPG

P1280327 (2).JPG

P1280304 (2).JPG

Cheers all and thanks for all the great, encouraging and humorous posts throughout the build.

Robert L. Stevenson

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Love the photos from your visit to see "old 92250". Great that you could fulfil your friend's last wish.
I look forward to seeing the photos of your model. The above photos of your trip to Wales will make a great reference.
Jim

Superb modelling and wonderful photos.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Amazing work Ron as always . Not only a superbly painted and finished model but top class photography and composition.
plus the added layer of a heart wrenching back story . Truly moving stuff mate.
Yours Rev. W Awdry

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A Masterful build Ron.......I feel like a rank amateur!.........your story brought a tear to my eye as I had a neighbor who railroaded for over 50 years.......he also had a favorite locomotive and spoke of it often, as if it were a living entity......he told me once that they all had different "personalities"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What to write?
First, thanks to all you wonderful fellow modellers who posted such great comments, insults, photos, and suggestions during the build for this. I lift my glass to you all!

Secondly, thank you all so much for the really great comments on the finished article. I appreciate every one of them.

I'm so pleased you like the 'Story'. I know for a fact, there are those on here who will consider it unnecessary and stuff all to do with model making, their choice. I would like to think that perhaps a bit of a yarn adds weight to the modellers presentation. Also, if my 'meanderings' brings a smile or tears to folks chops, then that for me is a priceless bonus.

Anyway, thanks once again for the amazing posts. What a great bunch of people you are.

Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sorry I’m late Ron, I’ve been out for a change.....
Great job on this as always. My favourite shot is the front three quarter In photo 4. That one just looks totally believable. Back story enhances it nicely.
Yours, Bob Riddles