Greetings from sunny Skegness (or thereabouts)

First Name
Jeffrey
Hello everyone - a getting older, young retiree here taking up modelling, and hopefully doing it better than in my youf !!

Interesting story about me getting going again - we visited RAF coningsby down the road a bit, and saw the typhoons, and the BBMF all sitting innocently on the concrete. The typhoons fly over us all the time, so it was nice to see them taking off and landing - and then I got home, saw a metal corgi 1:72 typhoon "for spares and repair" on ebay really cheap, so bought that, and started hand painting it in the RAF BoB colours - then needed decals, for that, then bought another one and started painting that in Blackjack colours, then bought 3 or 4 revell and airfix typhoon kits and then needed an airbrush etc etc. Three compressors later in one week (2 returned to Amazon) and here I am hooked, and getting poorer rapidly.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jeffrey,
welcome to the forum - a long time since I visited Skeggy! ( early-80s I reckon ). Are you sticking to 1/72?, & what do you have on the bench at the moment? Loads of tips, chat and advice here - mainly, just enjoy yourself!
Dave

First Name
Jeffrey
@Dave Ward One of the kits I bought secondhand on ebay had the typhoon I wanted, but with a spitfire as well, so I'm using that to quickly hone up my gluing and filling/sanding skills before I let myself loose on the typhoons. I was going to stick to the diecast 1/72 models, and just paint them up, but as soon as I started looking for more cheap ones, the prices all shot up.

I'm not sure I've got the room for bigger models - but I do have a couple of 1/16 Hobby Engine RC Abrams tanks that I've modded to do full turret rotation - so I may well be repainting them as well over the winter !!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Jeffrey. You'll love it here.

Growing up on Nottingham, holidays in the early 70s were at Skeggy and nearby Mablethorpe.
Not Cleethorpes? - My father preferred there to Mablethorpe! He disliked Skeggy & called Ingoldmells a blot on the landscape! ( caravan capitol of the UK! ). It was just a day trip from Sheffield, 60's roads were quieter!
Dave

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Not Cleethorpes? - My father preferred there to Mablethorpe! He disliked Skeggy & called Ingoldmells a blot on the landscape! ( caravan capitol of the UK! ). It was just a day trip from Sheffield, 60's roads were quieter!
Dave
Oh yeah. I'd forgotten about Cleethorpes and Ingoldmells

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome 963. You have taken the first steps on the path of enlightenment and already learning.
Not a cheap hobby these days.