Grendel builds a lawnmower (1/35 AH-1W Super Cobra)

a poll?

• i guess so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • maybe, maybe not

• yellow

• Total voters
G

Grendel

After i was welcomed here quite friendly and with a lot of enthousiasm the other day in the introductions subforum, i decided i liked this place and that i was gonna stick around for a while.

well, and if that's the case, why not start writing build updates for this very friendly looking forum then in stead of just lurking around?

currently i'm working on a 1/35 AH-1W Supercobra and eventhough i started that project a few weeks ago, i'll just put all the progress here as if it were a new build; would look a bit weird if i'd start halfway of course :mrgreen:

there's a bit of a story attached to the reason i'm building this machine and that story mainly revolves around this monster, the most evil of all revell kits:

the 1/32 ah64 apache.

i built that monster over the course of 4 months or so (which to me was almost a life time since i normally finish a model in about 2 weeks from start to end), using the verlinden update set for it (which cost a ridicioulous amount of money and was one of the worst verlinden update sets i've ever seen..) and spending dozens of hours just rebuilding and sanding it to shape everything to make it look somewhat like an apache. after having repainted it 3 or 4 times and looking at yet another repaint job since the paint job and i still weren't in agreement, i decided that enough was enough and this is what happened to the ah64 in the end:

...and that was roughly a year ago.

well, and since i kinda can't stand to be defeated by a st00pid piece of plastic, i decided it was time to show myself and the world i was actually able to build a 1/35 helicopter without having to go through all the frustrations of my previous attempt.

..and although i normally mainly am an OutOfTheBoxBuilder who finds most pleasure in building something worth looking at from the worst kits available (i kinda have a 6th sense for not recognizing the most evil kits even if i'm staring them in the box :tongue:smiling3:, this time i decided to go full out and do something i never did before; buy a BigEd set from eduard and do a more 'serious" build where i had to do a bit more planning before i actually started building.

so ladies and gentlepeople, meet my current little hobbyproject..

the AH-1W Super cobra:

tho that "little" part isn't completely true in this case. actually a super cobra in 1/35 is quite large:

and with all those big plastic pieces thrown together it will eventually roughly become something like this:

oh, and to make it more visible how big the machine in RealLife is a nice portrait together with freund Heinrich:

na also!

now..

the only problem i have at the moment is that i'm used to writing HUGE progress updates with loads and loads of pics which show what i'm doing and how i'm doing it and on this forum there seems to be a 25 pics/posting limit making writing updates Grendel Style a bit more complicated.

for this first update i already removed a bunch of pics (it's actually an adaption from an update i wrote for another forum..) but i'm still a bit over that 25 pics limit so i'm afraid i have to post my update in multiple postings right after eachother.

hope you guys won't mind :mrgreen:

G

Grendel

....And welcome to part 2 of update number 1. yay!

though i usually write loads and loads of stuff to explain what's happening on the photo's in my updates, i guessed that wouldn't actually be needed for this first one since it al seems to be pretty obvious; like with most flying machines this build also starts with the bathtub and the accompanying toys and to be honest there's not really a lot of interesting stuff to see imo.

Although most of the plane builders seem to think of the bathtub as the most interesting part of the model to work on, i certainly don't and i see that part of the build mostly as a necessary evil because in the end most of the hard and delicate work will be hidden inside the fuselage, never to be seen again. In this case however, the cockpit will actually be quite visible and since i bought a very exspensive PE set which also includes a whole lot of extra's for the cockpit i figured that fot this project i should pay a bit more attention to the bathtub for a change and i leave it up to you guys to decide if i payed enough attention :grin:

time for some picca's!

ohne Wörter..

G

Grendel

..and here's part 3.....

..so much for this time. any questions?

:mrgreen:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is some super 'bathtub' building there!!

Looks like this build will be worth following.

Looking forwards to the next thrilling episode!!

Ian M