Group build anyone - Falklands ?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Next year, which is obviously just around the corner, will be 40 years since the Falklands war (even though it was never specifically identified as a war by either side) I will still use the term war out of respect for those who didn't return.
So how about a group build to commemorate the anniversary of the Falklands war ?
If this GB gets the go-ahead, I'll refine the details later, but essentially the GB should last the duration of the war, which was around 16 weeks (exact dates to be confirmed) so we're looking at a build that would last around 4 months.
What can we build ? well if it was used in or around the Falklands, that'll do.
There we are, just a rough idea. What do we all think ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That could be a great Idea with lots of options... Pencil me in and I will see what I can find.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Hi there,

I'd like to go for that if I could do some FAA Harriers and maybe a Vulcan?
Depending on when they need to be completed by.

James

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Interesting idea. I was 11 at the time of the conflict and it was my first exposure to British forces in Battle in my living memory.

Will have to watch from the sidelines though. Still have too much on the bench, including two incomplete GBs.

Hope your get the numbers.

ATB.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Wiki has the date as the 2nd April to the 14th June. So we could use that or make it easy and say April 1st start and end 30th June.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks you all for the initial interest, but it's not looking too good for numbers. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks you all for the initial interest, but it's not looking too good for numbers. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
Early day yet, no one said that you have to get ten sign ups the first week after dropping the question.
Let it ride a bit and it's OKAY to push the thread once in a while.
Have seen a few good ideas dropped by the proposers just because it did not get the needed 10 participants right away.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Early day yet, no one said that you have to get ten sign ups the first week after dropping the question.
Let it ride a bit and it's OKAY to push the thread once in a while.
Have seen a few good ideas dropped by the proposers just because it did not get the needed 10 participants right away.
I'm happy to go with a sub-ten participation if that helps!
Steve :cool:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've got a Chinook, a Victor, a Sea Harrier and an A-4 Skyhawk to choose from, so I'll do one of them at least. Count me in Colin.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I've got a Rapier unit to contribute or Argentine LARC.Great idea to do a Falklands tribute for a group build.
Jon.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Colin I’m in I had to go educate myself on the war I was only 13 years old I remember my dad watching the news and them talking about it that’s about it. I think I’m going to build a 1/72 Sea King. Hope this gets off the ground.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Interesting idea. I was 11 at the time of the conflict and it was my first exposure to British forces in Battle in my living memory.

Will have to watch from the sidelines though. Still have too much on the bench, including two incomplete GBs.

Hope your get the numbers.

ATB.

Andrew
Andrew what’s one more incomplete GB model I have some myself still waiting to finish come join the fun who knows you may finish this one.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Colin I’m in I had to go educate myself on the war I was only 13 years old I remember my dad watching the news and them talking about it that’s about it. I think I’m going to build a 1/72 Sea King. Hope this gets off the ground.
I had to go do the same lol I was 10. Haven't a clue what I'm going to build yet, can see another half a dozen kits joining the stash.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I had to go do the same lol I was 10. Haven't a clue what I'm going to build yet, can see another half a dozen kits joining the stash.
I hated I had to do that but it was History in the making when we were kids. I wonder if they teach about the war now days? Mark I'm sure you’ll find something. I’m going to build the MPC Sea King a oldie but a goodie. I think we have 9 contenders just one more

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very interesting as I have a Pucara so waiting to be built. If that doesn't happen I still have the Skyhawk and Sea Harrier. No ships, submarines and ground forces in the stash to add in.

Cheers,
Richard