Gunze-Sangyo

M

markg

I notice that most of the builds in Model Airplane International magazines use Gunze-Sangyo paints. Is this a marketing thing? or are these really the paints of choice by the modellers?

G

Gomer Pyle

I couldn't say about the magazine, but it's not at all unlikely that there is some sort of sponsorship. I feel the the GS paints are very similar to the Tamiya paints, they even smell very much alike, color by color. I would say that GS paints of a very high quality (as are the Tamiya paints). As with a lot of other stuff in our hobby, I it's often up to; personal preference, geographical availability and palette, to decide whether one brand is more common than others, in certain places or contexts.

Moving chemicals across national borders is still a very challenging endeavor, and often a major contributor to one brand being able to penetrate a certain market with greater ease than others.

/Daniel

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't use them myself,as Daniel says we all find what suits us and tend to stick with that. The Gunze Sangyo products don't seem to be widely available in the UK but MDC (model design construction) do stock them if you fancy giving them a go.

Resin, brass and decal accessories for the aircraft modeller : the highest quality resin, casting and service. Enhancements for Luftwaffe, RAF, French and American subjects Sun-contracting casting service of the highest quality. on ModelDesignConstru

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Hi Mark, I have used Gunze-Sangyo paints a few times, they are very good, and for me they are a little more resistant to scratching etc than Tamiya, but beware of the colours quoted as with any kit, if I havn't used a colour before I always brush paint some on a piece of scrap plastic and see its colour when it is dry. MCD whom Steve mentions are a very good firm to deal with, www.netmerchants.co.uk also have a limited stock, look under 'Mr Hobby Aqueous paint'' . Cheers Derek