Hairspray technique problems

B

beav1013

Hey guys. Can anyone let me know what i did wrong here? I had a solid clear base down on top of my base coat of grey. then i sprayed a layer of hair spray on top of that. Let it dry for 1.5 hours, then sprayed the white on top of that. And i got this cracking all over the model.

Did i not let it dry long enough? Anyone who's done the hairspray technique before, how long did you let it dry before applying the top coat?

Thanks.

View attachment 49485

DSCN4741.jpg

M

mobear

are you using acryllic paints if so it sometimes reacts to the paint

mobear

B

beav1013

yea. tamiya acrylics over the hairspray. i watched some youtube tutorials and they said it didn't matter what type of hair spray, and the process only works with acrylics.

M

mobear

i did the same type of thing with my lancaster,i sprayed a little too much in one area,and it caused wrinkles,and some hairspray is worse than others,so i now use stuff that you hand pump

mobear

B

beav1013

so you think the problem was too much hair spray? is it more of a misting or a "coat" of hairspray? i had tested it a while ago with a coat and it was fine. frustrating...

M

mobear

more of a mist then you can add more if required,though i think some of the more experienced modellers could give you more idead of the problem,as i`m still quite new to this model build,i only started doing models just before xmas last year

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just to really get things up in the air, I have painted hairspray on with a flat brush over Humbrol then sprayed acrylics over the top with out any problems. Ypu can also use Humbrol Matt paints over the top, it's just harder to chip afterwards.

I use Vallejo acrylics by the way.

I know it's not the effect you are after but you have gotten a nice distressed paint effect.

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Why do you apply hairspray to models??? Mike
Hairspray is water soluble Mike, so you have your first layer of paint then hairspray. Then you put a different colour on top of that, and when thats dry you chip away with a wet stiff brush so it looks like worn paint. You can get a good effect too, i've only tried once and this was the result.

View attachment 46527

Have fun, John

View attachment 49529

2011-05-03 14.57.12.jpg

V

VermontGuy

Do you think a small toothbrush would work just as well? I mean on a larger scale basis?

V

VermontGuy

Andy, HOLY MOLY! WHAT A GREAT BUILD! :smiling3: Your a model master! :smiling3:

Mike