Hasegawa 1/700 IJN Hyuga - Hybrid Battleship/Carrier

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is sadly the only completed model from my 'pair of shelf queens' build - The Yamato is missing vital parts.................
DSCF3922.JPGDSCF3925.JPG
DSCF3923.JPGDSCF3924.JPG
DSCF3926.JPGDSCF3927.JPGDSCF3928.JPG
A really bizarre conversion, which was wasted, as she never carried aircraft operationally, certainly different.
Picking up a part finished model can be tricky, it was impossible to match the existing paint, so I had to repaint the lot.
Nothing really complicated in the build, just a lot of tiny AA guns to add - the decals for the aircraft were too thin,and non-stick - the instructions are too small & very cramped, and careful study is essential - luckily all parts were present, so I was able to finish it ( eventually ) - unlike the Yamato, which has returned to the limbo shelf.
Not sure what I'll build next - my hand isn't really up to do anything fine & delicate, like rigging, I'll have to have a poke around in the stash & see if anything catches my eye ( It's cold in there - no heating in unoccupied rooms! ).
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOKS a great build dave an it would have been a super model in 1/72 scale wonder how long she would have been as this would have made a crackin R/C Model in this big scale an maybe someone will built it but not me im afaid as ive ran out of time as gettin to old but if i had been 20 yrs younger an seen this i think i would have attempted a 1/72 SCALE BUILD OF IT but yours is very nice work pity about the yamatoe
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN Dave if its only the funnel an a bit of the after bridge cant you scratch build them as they are very tiny an yes i know you have trouble with your hands which i sysamphise for you but i mean when your hands are better ?
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
LOOKS a great build dave an it would have been a super model in 1/72 scale wonder how long she would have been as this would have made a crackin R/C Model in this big scale an maybe someone will built it but not me im afaid as ive ran out of time as gettin to old but if i had been 20 yrs younger an seen this i think i would have attempted a 1/72 SCALE BUILD OF IT but yours is very nice work pity about the yamatoe
chrisb
Blimey Chris, that would be ten foot long and about a foot across…..simply huge!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great build Dave. Very interesting subject from the period when the Japanese were putting flat tops on anything that would float…..