Hasegawa J 35 O Draken Austrian Black Special

K

Kressy13

Howdy all.

Well I found out on the weekend that their is a hobby show and competition coming up in Queensland, so I thought why not make something and enter it for a bit of fun. Having a look at the categories I have chosen to do the build OOB. This was a good decision as the show is on the 20-21 of August. This giving me a month to doo it. Eeeeeeeeeep!

Any who the kit. I decided to go for something a little different and looks cool as it is and i might have been eyeing off this kit any way. Lol. The instructions are nice and clear and all the pieces seem to have great detail. Just hope I can do this great bird justice.

Guess I had better start building. Cheers.

Kresten.

View attachment 25351

draken box.jpg

B

bikerbart

Hiya Kressy, this looks like a little stunner mate...very much looking forward to seeing this built up bud. Hope the show will be a good en, you will have to get lots of pics and post em on here if ya can, would be good to see, all the best mate, regards Martin :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice choice, will look stunning when shes done. A quick tip if you are planing to spray it. Use well thinned ENAMAL and give it lots of thin coats, It will shine nice and deep like a pool of ink! Practice on some thing first!

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Cheers guys. With the well thinned enamel, just how thin? 50/50 or something more along the lines of 80/20. If anyone has any info on the draken it would be much appreciated. The kit instructions have the landing gear and tub in silver but ive seen photos of these painted a green colour. Cheers.

Kresten

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ah ha! this is where the practise bit comes into the picture. Start with 50/50 and do a test spray on an old kit or a plastic bottle. (remember to prime it)

If its to thin it will just meen that you will need to give it more coats. Watch out for the runs!

If it is to thick it will cover to quickly and you will get sags. No real reply in there but I think you get the idea.

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Cool, cheers mate. Another quick question. How long would you generally leave between coats? I have never sprayed enamels before, only acrylics. Lol. Cheers

Kresten.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you use Humbrol, you can go again after a good hour. In sunny Aussie you might get away with it after ½ an hour.

K

Kressy13

Ok. Well i will give it a go and post up the results. It's not too bad in Denmark this time of year. Thanks for your help.

Kresten.

K

Kressy13

Hi guys.

Well ive been working away at getting the pit done as well as the landing gear and all the other small stuff to go together. So far the fit has been really good. The front landing gear has got 8 separate pieces in it so its been a bit fiddly. I will be putting the pilots seat in towards the end so as i don't damage it as i usually do :P Cheers.

Kresten.

View attachment 25427

View attachment 25428

cockpit 2.jpg

cockpit 1.jpg

B

bikerbart

Looking very nice already Kresten, lots of nice detail ,regards Martin :smiling:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good so far. Keep it up!

Ian M

F

Fenlander

Coming on nicely. Never seen one of these before, heard about them but nothing more than pictures. Looks an interesting kit.

K

Kressy13

Well. Have been busy adding some of the parts to the body. Then a fair bit of filling and sanding. Then a bit more filling and sanding (sigh). Have tested out the paint as Ian had instructed. It has taken 4 coats of tamiya semi gloss black mixed 50/50. I think it has worked alright for a first go. Is this the look you were referring to Ian?

Cheers

Kresten.

View attachment 25611

View attachment 25612

test 002.jpg

test 001.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Kressy, If ever I want my car painted black I will give you a call. From what I can see in the photo, it looks like you have it sorted. No runs, sags or splatters (all the things I can normally do one one kit!!!).

Could use a bit more of a shine maybe but thats a matter of taste. The worlds display aorcraft are probably some of the most polished plains in the world. I saw a program on the TV the other day about the Blue Angles; the US navy display team. You could see your face in the shine on those puppies!!

A gloss coat will bring it up a treat.

Keep at it, you are on the right path!

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Hi Guys. Thanks for the comments guys. Means alot. I have done a gloss coat on the test ass you suggested ian and it does look better. Have almost got the fuselage ready for paint. Landing gear is done aand most of the little parts are together. Might take a while to do the paint but i guess thats what we are in the hobby for.

Cheers

Kresten

View attachment 25745

View attachment 25746

View attachment 25747

draken 1.jpg

glossy.jpg

draken 2.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good so far, keep up the good work!

Graham. If you fancy having a go at one, you might be interrested in these: Danish SAAB 35 Draken, four colourful a/c incl. one two-seater. HUGE SHEET!

Fell a bit tempted my self!

Ian M

K

Kressy13

Hi Ian. I did see this collection of decals but couldn't get them in time. Was going to do the all red plane with the royal symbol on the underside. I'll have to do it another time so I can show the family over their.

Got most of the black painted on it so far. Just another coat and it's all good. Then the decals :sad: and only got a week and a half to go. Some late nights ahead I think.

Cheers.

Kresten.