Hasegawa Voyager 1/48: strategy to paint the model

First Name
Jean
Hi fellas.

The model in question is Hasegawa's Voyager, 1/48th scale, with Eduard PE parts.
The objective of this model is to practice (i) working with PE parts and (ii) airbrushing. Both of which I am relatively new.

Where I am right now, is that I have completed the model in 5 smaller sections. I haven't had any particular difficulty, some of the PE parts are small, not always easy to fold/bend, but I guess it ended up fine enough for me.

Now I need to start the paint work, and need some strategic thinking.

• Initially, as in before starting the model, I was thinking of assembling it completely, put it on its stand, and paint it from there after masking the necessary areas one by one.
  • however after completing the model in 5 smaller sections, I realise that this model is going to be quite fragile once assembled and I'm concerned that I start breaking stuff while masking, or turning it while airbrushing etc.

Can you please provide some guidance as to how to go about this ? What you would do in my case, and why ?

Thank you.

Jean.

300092224_955511575424763_7065395093814425449_n.jpg

DSC00077.JPG

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Interesting and different :smiling3:
...... Oh,and a,belated, warm welcome to the site from me Jean. ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This is a very common dilemma Jean. How much to build before painting? Some paint as they go and others build up the model completely before painting.
I would check that the sections all fit together perfectly and then paint each separately.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
hairbrushing
image.jpg

:thinking:

I would definitely paint the Voyager in subassemblies, then put those together with superglue. If you end up with shiny bits of glue once it’s dried, you can then hide those easily by brushing a little matt varnish over them.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jakkos approach is the one I would use. Spraying something that fragile is probably best as well. I would only brush paint where necessary, especially where it eliminates the need for masking. I would try to mount each sub assembly onto something for painting. It makes the model parts easier to handle and minimises handling of the model and potentially breaking bits off. I use scraps of wood for the mount and blue tack to hold it, by the way. Looks like you’ve made a great job of assembly, so good luck with the painting!

First Name
Jean
ROFL !!! Sorry, typo corrected.

Ok, so if there is no obvious advantage painting the model after fully assembling it, I will do this section by section, seems easier.

Other question: I suppose my Tamiya Surface Primer is going to stick to my PE parts ?...

1661072947989.png

Attachments

• 1661072926026.png
    1661072926026.png
    313.6 KB · Views: 0

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes it will. That stuff is very close to cellulose automotive primer, and that was designed to stick to sheet metal……I just wish they did it in bottles.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never seen that in the UK unfortunately, along with Tamiya filler :disappointed2: If I could find them they would be my Go To primer and filler….

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jean lookin forward to seein this come togeather as i love anything to do with space an ive never seen a voyger kit before so something new for me how big is it ? an you have done a fine job so far i will be followin along
ATB to you
chrisb

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Welcome Jean and I subscribe what has been said before. I take the liberty to add that I would try to gently degrease the model surfaces, PE in particular, before priming.
I use a household mild degresear to do that, than rinse gently in warm water.
A final point: the "degreasing" is a procedure not shared by every modeller. As you are going to prime the model and the model itself looks very fragile, I think you can skip that step if you do not feel confident.

Andrea

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have both on my shelf, Amazon sell them.
Though am using Mr. Surfacer 1500 more these days.
Hi Karl. Can you post a link? The only Tamiya filler I can find on Amazon is about eighteen quid a tube, far too dear for my blood :anguished: Also, I can only find the white primer, and I prefer the grey. I’ve found the white sheds particles everywhere during subsequent handling.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Never seen that in the UK unfortunately, along with Tamiya filler :disappointed2: If I could find them they would be my Go To primer and filler….
I have both on my shelf, Amazon sell them.
Though am using Mr. Surfacer 1500 more these days.
Hi Karl. Can you post a link? The only Tamiya filler I can find on Amazon is about eighteen quid a tube, far too dear for my blood :anguished: Also, I can only find the white primer, and I prefer the grey. I’ve found the white sheds particles everywhere during subsequent handling.
If I can find it again, it was a while back that I bought it, and now I'm in the phantom eu/not eu zone there's a lot of stuff not coming my way from Amazon.
eBay can be useful too.