Hazards of our wonderful hobby

M

Mark P

Two things I am always doing when making a model is 1: Sticking my fingers together (I use false nail glue) and 2: Taking little chunks out of my fingers when trimming a part with my scalpel. What other things do people do that is common in what we do?

F

Fenlander

Once dropped a scalpel and quickly (automatically) shut my legs to catch it....... Yep, it embedded itself into my thigh.... Could have been a lot worse :eek:

A

Awins

\ said:
Once dropped a scalpel and quickly (automatically) shut my legs to catch it....... Yep, it embedded itself into my thigh.... Could have been a lot worse :eek:
I tend to avoid super glue as the only thing I manage to stick with it are my fingers.

T

T. van Vuuren

Not to long ago I was making an RC model for someone and my scalpal slipped...I found that I was bleeding all over the model and only then saw the nice 1' long beautifully clean and neat incision (spelling?) in my right hand. Did not even feel the cut it was so sharp and lucky it was a brand new blade LOL

About 30mm to the right and I would without a doubt have cut my radial artery!

Theuns

M

Mark P

The other thing I have only done once was knock over a brand new pot of finger nail glue all over the dining room table! The table clothe was stuck solid to it :eek:, the other half went mental! In the end I had to take the table outside and sand it off, re stain it and bees wax it. Two days later it was the best its ever been and the other half loved it :smiling3: , I am now banned from the dining room though :sad:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I had a friend set fire to a model. He was in the shed having a fag and doing some work on the a plane, he put the fag down and the plane-knocked the fag into the cockpit and it began to smoulder, he went out of the shed for something, came back smelt something panicked and knocked over a small bottle of meths-yep, straight onto the model, hot plastic, burning fag and meths, a small fire ensued. He put it, stopped smoking and the model went in the bin.

Personally I have stuck things to myself, spilt extra strong glue on nylon shorts and it burnt the material and my leg...knocked over paint...sat on a model.

This modelling lark should come with a warning I reckon... :D

D

Deleted member 4539

I once managed to superglue both of my hands to my modelling desk.

I'm just glad Paula was at home.

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Glued hands together. Cut fingers many times including once when wearing rubber gloves and didn't realise till one of the fingers was full of blood

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Well ive done the superglue disasters but think my worst was when i was younger i was given some old warhammer and was cleaning the seam lines.....slipped with the scalpel which insisted on slicing into the end of my index finger and down into my nail by 5mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I can sympathise as I dropped said scalpel with No 11 and went through my slipper to stop in my foot. That hurt little cut ( lots of blood

D

Deleted member 3568

I left a stanley knife on my bench it was sticking over the edge and up against a block of wood turned round and bent down to pick something up, as I stood up I backed into the stanley knife resulting in a 4 inch gash in my bottom the full depth of the blade (didn't feel a thing) lots of blood and an embarrassing visit to A E.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a few painful nicks from various sharp instruments but thankfully no visits to A+E.

Superglue can be a bugger, once got it on my lips trying to put a lid back on whilst doing something with the other hand (stupid). I didn't glue my mouth shut, much to SWMBO's disappointment, but it took a while for the crusty deposit to wear off and I didn't fancy trying to shift it with nail polish remover.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Like most modellers, I've dinked myself with a knife many times. One mystery was how I managed to dink one of the fingers of my right hand while holding the knife in my right hand!

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Like most modellers, I've dinked myself with a knife many times. One mystery was how I managed to dink one of the fingers of my right hand while holding the knife in my right hand!
Having met you Dave, doesn't surprise me one bit :D :D:D;) :sad:

S

stuart.c.82

It was wonderful starting this pastime and meeting you all but this hobby is just assisted suicide.... Gonna go take up base jumping or crocodile wrestling instead! xxx :D

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Having met you Dave, doesn't surprise me one bit :D :D:D;) :sad:
You know me so well Graham - and after only having met twice! :smiling3: Never mind though, I still remember how you blushed when you saw that Lady Santa! :P

M

Mark P

\ said:
You know me so well Graham - and after only having met twice! :smiling3: Never mind though, I still remember how you blushed when you saw that Lady Santa! :P
Dave spill??? :P

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave spill??? :P
I'll let young Graham answer that one Mark! ;) I wouldn't want to embarrass him - I'm far too nice a guy to do that. Even if I am a clumsy oaf with a hobby knife:D

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I'll let young Graham answer that one Mark! ;) I wouldn't want to embarrass him - I'm far too nice a guy to do that. Even if I am a clumsy oaf with a hobby knife:D
I think you have set me up Dave but I deserved it lol

Nothing to spill Mark. I met up with Dave at the Hinckley show (still one if my favourite shows) we had a splendid time wondering around the stalls and the displays. While looking at a display of figure painting, there was a gorgeous figure of a really hot young lady in a mini Santa Suit invitingly sprawled on the rug before a fireplace with hanging stockings. I fell in love with this figure as soon as I saw it and had to keep going back for another look, I think Dave was getting a tad worried and possibly embarrassed at my behaviour. :rolleyes:

Never forgot that figure :D

If ever anyone gets to a show that Dave is going to, make sure you meet up with him, not only great company but a thoroughly nice bloke.

First Name
Jimbob
Like many others super glue is a nightmare cut myself many times I regularly while cleaning out fruil track links drill into my fingers I also when building brass and whitemetal railway locomotive kits burn my fingers with the soldering iron. Get to a stage I can't feel anything on the tips of my fingers, I always thought modelling as supposed to be fun and relaxing !,