Hello from Kent

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Hi folks,

My name is Ralph and I am about to have another go at scale modelling. I have not built a model kit for several decades and everything has changed. My airbrushes are getting on for 50 (yes fifty!) years old and the last time I painted a model, the only paint choice at my local model shop was Airfix or Humbrol enamels. I have been looking at all the now stuff out there and still trying to take it all in. I was an armour modeller and heavily into WWI 1:32 scale. I also modelled WWII in 1:76 and 1:35 scale. The choice of kits was fairly limited back then. At the time I worked for a now, long defunct model magazine. The editor there was a rail enthusiast and I spent a long time going down that path. Life and work took over and I spent many years away from the hobby. Now, retired and in my late sixties, I am coming back to the hobby.

Early days at the moment, but I am looking forward to catching up on the theory, while I build my new workshop/model room. I may have to buy some stuff on the way.

I look forward to joining in and I will probably be asking a few questions, at least initially...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ralph and welcome, I lived in Kent for many a year but am not familiar as to where smokie 42 is...Hmm?
Hope that you enjoy it here and stick around.

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi and welcome, enjoy the forums, newbie myself, but the peeps seem to be very helpful, which is always nice. Look forward to seeing your progress. :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome aboard Ralph. I'm one of those that has kept with the hobby from day one so have seen the changes along the way. Old school still works and you'll find some new stuff are like cover versions of an old song but made easier for faster finishes.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Ralph.

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Hi Ralph and welcome, I lived in Kent for many a year but am not familiar as to where smokie 42 is...Hmm?
Hope that you enjoy it here and stick around.
Me neither! 42 is the end of my forum name - but I have no idea how that got there. I have changed it to Herne Bay...

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
.. and it's a warm welcome from me too Ralph :smiling3:
... I look forward to seeing you around the parish ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Howdy from the Rocky Mountains of the Pacific Northwest! When you were Railroading, what scale did you work in? I was an HO scaler way back and we have one or two others on the forum that model in HO as well.....not to mention our resident O scaler. Also a few are interested in Hornby etc......can't be helped.:tongue-out2:;) Make yourself at home and fire away in the question department, some one here will have an answer or know where to look .:thumb2:

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Howdy from the Rocky Mountains of the Pacific Northwest! When you were Railroading, what scale did you work in? I was an HO scaler way back and we have one or two others on the forum that model in HO as well.....not to mention our resident O scaler. Also a few are interested in Hornby etc......can't be helped.:tongue-out2:;) Make yourself at home and fire away in the question department, some one here will have an answer or know where to look .:thumb2:

Good morning from a wet and windy UK.

Over the years I have dabbled in several scales. When I first joined the military book publisher I was building WWI 1/32 scale vehicles and figures using the few period vehicles that were around. All these were civilian prototypes and needed 'converting' to WD use, much as had been the case with the prototypes. Through this I had asportations to model the narrow gauge railways of the day, that were used to support the troops. The head of Editorial office was a man called Chris Ellis, a prolific author and ex editor of Airfix magazine. This was back in the early 1970s. Chris was a keen model railway enthusiast and he got me into the railway side of things. Narrow gauge railway was my interest, and although the WD railways of the front line were what inspired me, I never did model one. Instead I built several OO9/HOe layouts.

I later got interested in True scale S4 (or P4) 4mm scale on 18.83 gauge track. In those days that meant scratch building everything.

Years went by and I had some LGB for a while. Later in life I inherited a huge amount of OO. a whole layout that had been built by my late brother-in-law. As this was not my thing, I sold it and invested the money in On30, which I still have today. one day I may well build the logging layout I had planned for it.

Now we have retired to the coast I am in the process of sorting out all my modelling stuff, catching up with the current market and building my new workshop/hobby room.

Ralph.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... and it's a warm welcome from me too Ralph....
.... I look forward to seeing you around the parish :thumb2:.