Hello - New

• Thread starter Deleted member 9328
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9328

Hi all. New to forum and modelling (I don't count the modelling I did as a young nipper trying to put together some military vehicles and a Strikemaster together). Found this forum by placing my first order with Scale Model Shop and trying out modelling for a change and distraction to a busy work life and to try and get the balance back - a common approach I should think to some here.
Hope to learn and develop skill and trying out some space kits to have a go and see how model building compares from the 70's to the 2020's. Pointers for new starters very welcome but I guess from Scale Model Shop purchases I have found a good starting block to build from.

Known as "Taff" - welsh exile living and working in England now.

D

Deleted member 9328

Taff,
welcome to the forum - what's your area of interest? Whatever it is, this forum covers all genres - loads of advice and information - just browse, or ask the difficult questions! Enjoy!
Dave
Thanks all. Dave - I have bought a space kit to try my hands on as an experiment as fancy a Saturn V build one day. Aircraft models are great but could see that getting out of hand quickly if I start liking it!:smiling5:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks all. Dave - I have bought a space kit to try my hands on as an experiment as fancy a Saturn V build one day. Aircraft models are great but could see that getting out of hand quickly if I start liking it!:smiling5:
Taff,
too late - you've bought a model & joined the forum, you're on the slippery slope!
Enjoy your build - it's a hobby & for your own pleasure, don't be put off by mistakes, we all make them, and tell yourself never to that again. Any questions on techniques, or problems with a model, ask - someone will be able to answer
Dave

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Welcome to the forum, Taff.
I'm in the same position: had been building models for a decade, until the early '80s. Then came back to the hobby some years ago to discover it had evolved into a completely new and absolutely amazing universe of brands, tools, paints and accessories while the basic "laws" remained pretty the same, beginning with "have fun and nothing will be really wrong" (well, nothing but my English) :smiling3: .

Andrea

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome aboard Taff. Ah Space...the last frontier...who knows what you'll get yourself into if the Star Wars franchise evolves even more. But if you stick to the present then you're safe with the Sat V as the ultimate unless there's a mega sized Shuttle.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 9328

Welcome to the forum, Taff.
I'm in the same position: had been building models for a decade, until the early '80s. Then came back to the hobby some years ago to discover it had evolved into a completely new and absolutely amazing universe of brands, tools, paints and accessories while the basic "laws" remained pretty the same, beginning with "have fun and nothing will be really wrong" (well, nothing but my English) :smiling3: .

Andrea
Andrea - your spot on there - all this new stuff. I have placed what I think was a large order on Scale Model Shop however I was starting from scratch so that lets get some stuff now and see how it goes! :tears-of-joy:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Taff welcome from me to an there is a large SATURN V in 1/48 th scale bein built on here so should be right up your street
chrisb mtb

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome Taff.

It's a great forum. I only joined in January when I got back into the hobby which I last did as a child in the late 70s.

They're a friendly bunch on here. I would strongly recommend you do a step by step blog of your builds and you'll get feedback. And ask as many questions on the way as you want.

There is so much experience and ideas on this site.

Mike

D

Deleted member 9328

Welcome Taff.

It's a great forum. I only joined in January when I got back into the hobby which I last did as a child in the late 70s.

They're a friendly bunch on here. I would strongly recommend you do a step by step blog of your builds and you'll get feedback. And ask as many questions on the way as you want.

There is so much experience and ideas on this site.

Mike
Thanks all for the friendly welcome. Mike - step by step blog is a great idea. Do forum members use their own blog host sites, own websites or VBLOG like YouTube?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks all for the friendly welcome. Mike - step by step blog is a great idea. Do forum members use their own blog host sites, own websites or VBLOG like YouTube?
All done on here in the relevant section e.g.aircraft, AFVs, civilian...