Hello there!

First Name
mike
Hi, I'm Mike, 58 years old, and have been back model building for about 5 years, after many years, before life and kids etc. got in the way.
I'm currently building 12 kits, and have just finished the Airfix Bentley Blower after 2 years of work (I have added several scratch built extras though!) Noe I'm starting the Italeri Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Roadster to display alongside the Bentley :hugging-face:
I have also just received my Meng FA18F thats been on pre-order for weeks: Nowhere's my first problem...I cannot find the 2 Meng paints for the external body, being MC292 and 308 greys. Has anyone got a cross reference for these? I've got about 10 shades of grey but for the price I was going to buy these, sadly no-one stocks them. Any ideas much welcome, thanks!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with your paint problem.
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Mike, welcome to the group. I'm currently building an F-16 which has quite a few shades of grey on it. There used to be a conversion chart on here somewhere.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Welcome aboard Mike :thumb2: can't help with the paint problem but I'm sure someone on here will come up with a solution.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Mike, welcome.:smiling:
I'm not an aircraft colour expert but I hope those links would be helpful: USN colours set and Conversion chart .:rolling:
I'm not advertising any product... :fearful: there are many more brands and many more conversion charts in the Net.
I just think that searching the correct paint using the correct FS code (which is the colour code used by the US Armed Forces and many others) and cross referencing on a conversion chart is an easier option. :thumb2:
Using the colour commercial name invented by the producer makes things really complicated, sometimes. :disappointed2:
Andrea

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Mike

Welcome aboard. Sorry can't help with the paint but would like to see the build!

ATB.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi mike , welcome to the forum , looking forward to seeing the Bentley and the Alfa . The Fa18F is right up my street too , ive got the Revell 1/48 kit in the stash . As for the paint issue ive got the Hataka usmc greys paint set , mainly for the fa18 , and its got all the colours you need . Ive used the Hataka paints before and found them good . The scale models shop ( link above) sells these but its out of stock at the moment https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/usaf-usn-usmc-piant-set-red-line-acrylic-hataka-htk-as44/ , hope this helps , cheers tony

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mike
Welcome to the forum - 12 kits at once? I find it tricky to build 2! What size is your workbench!
Meng paints aren't listed in any of the equivalent charts I use - you'll have to get the F.S. Number and go that way, or just go with the one which looks right!
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome to the madhouse......someone has the answer to all your questions,,,,,,good luck with the FA18F.
Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Mike welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help with the paints as tend only to build armour.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum Mike.
Which paints would you prefer to use.

First Name
mike
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I use Tamiya, Humbrol and Revell acrylics mainly, and also have quite a few old school enamel tins, plus several Vallejo, Xtracrylix and Hobby odd n sods: I bought an entire load of kit from someone who just gave up the hobby, got hundreds of paints, compressor, Iwata airbrush, and all the usual bits...for £65 :astonished:
Since then I've added two more job lots of kit, I must have over a grands worth of stuff, for next to nothing, ebay is amazing at times!

Attachments

• DSCF9176.JPG
    DSCF9176.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 22

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I use Tamiya, Humbrol and Revell acrylics mainly, and also have quite a few old school enamel tins, plus several Vallejo, Xtracrylix and Hobby odd n sods: I bought an entire load of kit from someone who just gave up the hobby, got hundreds of paints, compressor, Iwata airbrush, and all the usual bits...for £65 :astonished:
Since then I've added two more job lots of kit, I must have over a grands worth of stuff, for next to nothing, ebay is amazing at times!
Sooooo jealous on account of the bargain but mostly the dedicated work area......

First Name
mike
The joys being old free and single! I live in a tiny bungalow, I've used the spare bedroom as my man cave, I'll add some recent pics as I've added a home made spray booth, and shelving for all my 'works in progress' :flushed:
I've also dug out my 1990's JVC HiFi tower, so can play all my old vinyl LP's as I build my kits...currently re-living Dark Side of the Moon, original lp as well!

First Name
mike
wow you got a bargain then
chris
I really did steal the kit! Guy had it on ebay but said it was collection only: it was about 100 mile round trip but well worth it, I tried working out the new cost and got to £600 minimum. If you are selling stuff on ebay, you really need to be prepared to ship it or you'll get much less than the true value ;)

First Name
mike
A friend demonstrated his turntable & Bose system w/DSOTM so loud you could see the drywall move.
I'd love an original Bose HiFi, they were made to last, and the quality is miles better than the modern 'disposable' junk! Mine is a JVC set, top of the range back then: the turntable, CD, and amp are actually rebadged Technics units. I've just bought 2 genuine Technics diamond stylus cartridges for £20, them old Led Zep and Black Sab LP's sound amazing once again!